*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What to brew for my official 2nd batch of beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
evsjeep527
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What to brew for my official 2nd batch of beer?

Hello to all!! My name is Evan and I am new to the forums. I just recently got into brewing and I'm already hooked. For my first batch (officially unofficially titled Batch #00001) I went with a Brewer's Best kit in an English Brown Ale style. I'll be bottling this weekend.

I'm ready to start my second batch right away and I need a suggestion for a good recipe. I'd like a good recipe that does not involve buying another kit, but I also need to keep it simple. Right now I would say my capabilities are Extract PLUS (I am capable of steeping grains, adding LME and DME, and hops).

Also whatever recipe I choose is going to be in honor of my favorite show's last season: LOST!!

#1 Primary: Crazy Daisy's Hefeweizen
#2 Primary: Empty
Test Primary: 680 Spruce Beer
Secondary: Empty
Bottles: Batch #00001 Brown Ale
On Deck: California Common
Drinking: Troegs Nugget Nectar, Victory Moonglow Weizenbock and Dark Lager, and lots of miscellaneous Dogfish Head (World Wide Stout, Burton Baton, 120, Olde School, etc.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I highly suggest going with another kit. Good kits make great beer.

What do you like to drink?

PS LOST is the BOMB! I can't wait to see what happened. I sure hope John Locke is still alive. He's my favorite character.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I don't know anything about LOST but St. Patty's day is coming so how about a stout?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
evsjeep527
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppus_Poppatopolis View Post
I don't know anything about LOST but St. Patty's day is coming so how about a stout?
That's probably a better idea! So I'm officially now looking for a good stout recipe. Something a little bit different than the norm preferably.

Good to see a fellow southeastern PA'er in the house!!

Drinking: Troegs Nugget Nectar, Victory Moonglow Weizenbock and Dark Lager, and lots of miscellaneous Dogfish Head (World Wide Stout, Burton Baton, 120, Olde School, etc.)

Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
chrryghst
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evsjeep527 View Post
Also whatever recipe I choose is going to be in honor of my favorite show's last season: LOST!!
You and I have a lot in common, friend. I too just bottle my first brew (two weeks ago). It was also Brewer's Best English Brown Ale. And my favorite show? You guessed it! For my second brew, I chose another BB kit. Red Ale.

ps.. spoiler alert...

OMG! Neo-Locke is the smoke monster!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Aaronh2500
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Midwest supplies has a pretty good Oatmeal stout a buddy of mine made a couple of months ago. Just a suggestion is you buy from Midwest is to buy more than one if you can because you save a BUNCH on shipping.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
DoctorHops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too am a beginning brewer with 3 batches under my belt and another in the fermenter. I took the approach to identify the problems I had in the brewing process, then brew another batch of the same thing, fixing the problems. Note the defects in the brew, try to find the causes and fix them. After I get it consistent I intend to vary types and amounts of extract, hops, and yeast. I am using the Australian Sparkling Ale recipe from Papazian, he calls it Fair Dinkum something or other.

I think that brewing the same recipe until you get it consistent will reduce the number of variables in trying to optimize your brewing process. It is hard to find out what you need to improve if you can't compare the same thing from batch to batch. So brew another Brewer's Best Brown Ale. You may wish to procure the components separately as the yeast and hops may be fresher direct form the homebrew supply store's refrigerator than in the kit on the shelf.

My 12 oz worth. - Duffey

Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
mikebiewer
Recipes 

One of my homebrewing buddies made an Imperial Stout that was freaking amazing. It took about 3 months to get there, but it was awesome.

Check out this link to see what the brew looks like and a link to the kit. It was awesome!

Review of Northern Brewers Imperial Stout Kit

Mike
Mike's Brew Review.com
Mike's Brew Review Newsletter

Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #9
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What kind of stout do you like? There are several varieties including dry stout, sweet stout, American stout, foreign extra stout, Russian imperial stout, and several other variations of those.

What commercial stout do you like?

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
evsjeep527
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
What kind of stout do you like? There are several varieties including dry stout, sweet stout, American stout, foreign extra stout, Russian imperial stout, and several other variations of those.

What commercial stout do you like?

Eric
To be honest I've never met a stout I didn't like. Commercially I'll drink Guiness, Victory Storm King, Troegs Oatmeal, and one of the most interesting beers I've ever had was Blue Point Sour Cherry Imperial Stout.

I think I'm leaning towards making an oatmeal stout.

Quick Reply