Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the best way to aerate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
WTexan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the best way to aerate?

I am trying to get my mind wrapped around the aeration process. What is the best way to aerate and is it something I can get anywhere are do I need to go to a brew store?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The best way is probably with an oxegyn tank. The easiest way is pour the wort into your fermenter. I drain my kettle and let the wort fall into the fermenter from a foot or two this seems to aerate the wort quiet well. I am sure others will give you more ideas.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

There will probably be many responses as to what is the "best" method of aeration. Some people, (like the previous poster) use an oxygen tank and an aquarium filter stone. Other people use an aquarium pump and stone, but with plain air, instead of oxygen. Many people like to pour the wort back and forth between the kettle and fermenter a few times.

I have a large restaurant spoon that has about 30 holes in it. After pouring the wort into the fermenter (using the splash/pour method), I like to aggressively stir the wort with the "holy spoon" until it is frothy and foamy. Then I pitch the yeast. This method has worked very well for me, even on high gravity batches. I have fermented a Tripel that started at 1.080, and a Russian Imperial Stout that started at 1.092 using this technique with no problems whatsoever.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a paint mixer hat I attach to my drill and go nuts for a few minutes.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
the75
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like the paint mixer idea attached to a drill. I tried three different ways, shaking my carboy, aquarium pump with in line sanitary filter to a stainless steel diffuser, & finally an oxygen tank directly to my stainless steel diffuser. They all work, but the oxygen is the easiest & fastest acting by far. I bought an oxygen tank from a gas supply company (small 20cf bottle) as well as a regulator with a ferrule that allows me to attach a hose to it. I sanitize the diffuser & the hose, drop it in & blast my wort for 30-45 seconds, done. The first time I used it, my fermentation began within minutes & it was aggressive. Here's a video of that fermentation:

http://youtu.be/TtRcZ5KZY8I

Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
WTexan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the75
I like the paint mixer idea attached to a drill. I tried three different ways, shaking my carboy, aquarium pump with in line sanitary filter to a stainless steel diffuser, & finally an oxygen tank directly to my stainless steel diffuser. They all work, but the oxygen is the easiest & fastest acting by far. I bought an oxygen tank from a gas supply company (small 20cf bottle) as well as a regulator with a ferrule that allows me to attach a hose to it. I sanitize the diffuser & the hose, drop it in & blast my wort for 30-45 seconds, done. The first time I used it, my fermentation began within minutes & it was aggressive. Here's a video of it:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/TtRcZ5KZY8I
Where did you get you stone from and is it a stainless steel stone?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
the75
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes, stainless steel. .2 micron from my LHBS, but u can order them online for about $15.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
FastTalker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shaking your fermenter seems pretty effective and it doesn't require additional equipment.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r44
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-2.html

I'm pretty sure that's how commercial brewers do it.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

See http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast-propagation-and-maintenance-principles-and-practices for some good information, but she didn't try a paint mixer.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Oxygen tank is suppose to give the max oxygen compared to the aquarium pump or shaking/mixer methods.I like shaking it every hour or two . I just use a paint mixer but i get a good foam pouring it through a strainer but i still mix for about 5 min. I would like to try the oxygen system some day.

Quick Reply