what are the best sanitizing agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
Right now I am using a one-step powder with a local homebrew shop logo on it...I don't really like it because it does't dissolve well at all.

What are good, cheap sanitizing agents to use?

what are some other best practice methods for sanitation?

I use starsan exclusively. It's inexpensive, keeps for a long time, doesn't need to be rinsed and it is fast acting. For cleaning, I use oxy-clean. After a particular brew is done, I'll fill my better bottles fermenter with oxyclean and warm water and let it sit for a day. It usually 'eats' everything in it. I rinse it well and put it away. On brew day, I swish starsan around in the bottle to coat all surfaces and pour it back into my jug (it's reusable). I then keep a spray bottle of it on my belt loop at all times and use that to sanitize all my tools, my table, inside tubes, etc. Easy.

I use both of the two major sanitizing products, star san and iodophor. Look through the equipment and sanitizing subforum for lots of info.

Iodophor is good, I like it. Dilluted is a no rinse, but after this bottle, I'll be switching to star-san. Iodophor stains everything yellowish browish...basically looks like pee when you need to drink more water!

C-brite and starsan, depends on price and what I have. Spray bottle too, VERY necessary

Just FYI, C-brite got downgraded from sanitizer. It's now just a "cleanser." The manufacturer says that it's simply an issue of overreaching government regulators, and it will still sanitize your stuff, but starsan and iodophor haven't been put out of business by having to do any extra testing, so I'm a little incredulous.

I stick with the big two for now, plus they're both so inexpensive I don't see a reason to seek an alternative.

Latest posts

Back