Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Water questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Water questions

Hello all. New to brewing, besides a Mr. beer kit about a year ago or so.

I received a 5 gallon kit for xmas and a partial mash kit to go with it, and I am hoping to brew in the next few weeks.

However, I have a major water issue. The tap water in my town is LOADED with Iron, and it tastes like crap. My uncle lives about an hour away and has good, clean tasting well water available.

My question is this: If I take a 5 gallon spring water jug up there and fill it, do I have to sanitize the jug prior to filling it? I know when you make a 5 gallon kit, not all 5 gallons of water are boiled (some is boiled, the rest is added later), otherwise the boiling would be enough to kill anything unwarranted (is this correct?).

Option #2: Just boil the 5 gallons I get from him prior to brewing.

Which would be easier / more desirable?

Thank you for all your help!

-shoe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
azfalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Do you have somewhere you can just buy some bottled water for this? shouldnt be that expensive

Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This has been covered in great detail so you might be able to find great answers faster than waiting for other people to reply to your post using the search function.

Water isn't a huge deal when doing extract brewing. If you are doing all grain then you might want to look more into it. With extract brewing you can use bottled spring/ro/distilled water. If you have a RO filter like Britta then you can use that. Driving the 2 hours for 5 gallons of water is not necessary at all. It costs me $4 to buy 6 gallons of water at my grocery store (you want 6 gallons because you will boil some off).

Quick Reply