Transferring from kettle to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemTiger0408

Reaction score
I'm on my 6th BIAB batch. So far every time I'm done with the boil (and cooling) rather than racking to primary I just pour the entire contents into the primary bucket.

I read on here a lot about people racking to primary versus what I do. Is there any disadvantage to pouring all the contents into primary? I never have problems with clarity and have plenty of room in the primary bucket.

I've found that pouring it rather vigorously from the kettle into the bucket helps aeration. You just have to be careful not to dump in all the trub from the boil. However, if you're using a carboy or something with a smaller opening it gets problematic. Some people use a funnel. I think it's easier to just siphon into small-mouthed fermentors.

We pour the brew pot. The first time we used the siphon but it created way to much foam.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I use a siphon and leave the trub behind. Nothing wrong with the way you do it though. Plenty of people dump it all in and let it settle in fermenter.

I use a siphon and leave the trub behind. Nothing wrong with the way you do it though. Plenty of people dump it all in and let it settle in fermenter.

It is somewhat a matter of personal preference. Me, I like to leave as much gunk behind as possible at every step of the process with the goal in mind of getting a nice, clear result.

The steps that work well for me (to obtain clear brew) are:

1) Bag the hops (I use a DIY hop spider that holds one-gallon paint strainer bags)

2) Add Whirlfloc (or Irish Moss if you like) to the boil at 10 min.

3) After chilling, cover the brew kettle and let things settle 15-20 min before transferring to the fermenter. Try to leave as much gunk behind in the kettle as you can. I transfer out of my lower kettle pick-up tube through the pump and plate chiller with the pump control valve limiting the flow.

4) After fermentation is complete, if you have the means to do so, cold crash to 35-36*F at least 4 days.

5) When moving the fermenter to prepare for priming/bottling, be gentle and try to not slosh it around. If you crashed, rack to the bottling bucket or keg while the beer is still cold. Try to not suck much of the bucket trub into your siphon. If priming cold beer for bottling, give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon to evenly distribute the sugar solution.

I use a siphon and racking cane to reduce the amount of trub that makes it into my primary.

I'm only 3 batches into this great hobby.....so please tell me if this is ok....

First 2 batches I siphoned but only ended up with about 4 gallon. 3rd batch I put a sanitized 5 gallon paint strainer in a bucket and dumped the whole kettle....pulled strainer out and then siphoned into a glass carboy...I ended up with 5 gallon!!:)

Back