HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too warm pitching temperature...too fast fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
snyderb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too warm pitching temperature...too fast fermentation?

A day ago I pitched the yeast for my beer and I now realize that it was way too warm to pitch (probably in the range of 85 - 95 f). After about six hours I came home and the beer was going crazy and bubbling violently. After about 12 to 15 hours later there is very little if any bubbling going on.

The temperature now is around ambient temperature of about 68 - 70. Is the done, just rather quickly or is it stuck? Also, what should I expect flavor wise pitching at such a high temperature?

I am trying to make a milk stout using:

Munton's Irish Stout Extract Kit +
3 lbs. dry dark malt (instead of sugar)
1 lbs. lactose

for a 5 gallon batch using the dry yeast provided for me by Muntons.

I took a gravity reading around 1.045 but I'm not sure if that is totally accurate.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Take gravity reading for 3 days and if they are constant, then your brew is done.
I would say it's done anyway at those temps. Is that 1045 the OG or the present gravity? If the present gravity, then I would say it isn't done yet.

You can expect the beer to be not as good as if it were fermented cool. Most likely you'll get more fusels and esters than what you would want.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 123 Posts

It could be done. Yeast works much faster at higher temperatures and both growth and fermentation produce additional heat. If the yeast was Muntons rather than Muntons Gold, the FG should be around 1.015.

That much lactose is going to give you a very sweet stout regardless.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply