Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time for me to beat a dead horse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #31
frydogbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

so, psuedochef, with that analogy tossed into your argument, if one of your kids gets a disease, you would just kill 'em off and have another right?

fact of the matter remains, we all strive to avoid infection....as your analogy states, but when you actually have one, time can be your friend.
i have had to dump beer before, but only after waiting. i consider that to be a big part of the learning process in and of itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #32
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I love a good ad hominem thrown into the mix.

People seem to not be able to grasp my point. I realize that it falls outside the hivemind mentality of HBT, making it harder to sink in, but as I stated before, I personally feel that if I have off flavors at the end of fermentation and a small maturation period, I haven't brewed the best beer possible. I would rather spend time brewing again, and having the practice, and potentially drinking a great beer rather than wait it hope with the hope that it might someday get better and drinking a mediocre beer.

I am not saying waiting is wrong. I am just saying I feel I don't benefit from it.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #33
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by frydogbrews View Post
fact of the matter remains, we all strive to avoid infection....as your analogy states, but when you actually have one, time can be your friend.
An infected beer doesn't get any better with age. Infected batch = dumper. Since this is a beginner forum, we should keep the misinformation to a minimum.

I agree that if an non-trained person suspects an infection, a wise course of action may be to wait and see.

However, if a person with the type of training that pseduochef has concludes that their batch is infected, he is probably correct!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #34
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

i completly agree, just took interest in the analogy. i actually agree with him, i dump beers i don't like because i didn't get into homebrewing to drink beer that is sorta ok.

but for beginners, in order to learn how the flavors change over time, even with an infection, i like the idea of buying 20 bucks in extra bottles and letting those sit for 6 months.
and some infections, especially in cider, can really become awesome with age, as long as we are speaking in truisms.
but if you dump every batch that doesn't taste perfect out of the gate, how will you ever learn? not speaking to the OP, but to the point in general for folks who have not picked up on this stuff yet.

Quick Reply