These are normal, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbs

Reaction score
UPDATE: See post #8

Hey guys,

I just opened up my fermenter to take a reading. It's been fermenting for just about two weeks but I haven't see any airlock activity in over a week. Yeast used was S-04 and it seemed to go to town for a couple days and then stopped.

I just took a hydrometer reading, and it is at 1.015 down from 1.060 (beersmith say's that it's done).

There are little chunks floating on top. I'm guessing that it's just yeast, but I won't lie, I'm a bit worried it could be something else. Everything tasted ok, albeit green.

beerr.jpg

Also, on a side note: Since a few of my beers were a bit watery, I decided to add a little less water to this than the recipe called for. The batch called for 5 gallons of water, and I put in 4.5 instead. I took the gravity reading at 1.060 right after brewing and all seemed well. Do you think this will cause any trouble for me in the long run? From tasting my hydrometer sample, it seemed to have a good consistency. Might be a little too strong for an oatmeal stout though.

I should also note, this is the first time I've ever used irish moss.

Thanks guys - glad to hear it. That's why I love this site :)

PS - This will be the first batch making its way into my new kegerator!

Ok, so I just tasted this batch again as I was planning on getting ready to keg it...

It smells and tastes absolutely horrible (had to spit it out) and the chunks are still floating up on top.

Any ideas on what bug this is? This is not the first time I've had a beer taste like this (no chunks last time though). It is a very sour/nasty taste and the beer seems to get more yellow/cloudy and thin. I've had 3 good batches in between this one and the last one that tasted like this.

Help!

Anybody have any suggestions? I have another brew planned for Sunday but I want to try to figure out what's going wrong first...

My first thought is lactobacillus, but I also don't know what I'm talking about. BYO had a recent article about identifying different kinds of infections. Not sure if it's available on their web site yet.

- Steve

May I suggest keg it and see what its like in 3-4 weeks? Remember.... WWRD (What Would Revvy Do).

I thought about it, but I don't want to be cleaning all my brand new kegging equipment. Plus, even tasting a little bit was vomit inducing...

I thought about it, but I don't want to be cleaning all my brand new kegging equipment. Plus, even tasting a little bit was vomit inducing...

There's always a 45 minute bottling session. Just never know how it'll taste in 2-6 months.

Back