Is there a visible way to tell if my beer is carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hippy_joe_cool said:
I bottled it a few days ago. it doesnt look any different. Just wanted to make sure that is normal.

First off, the bottles won't look different ever. That's. good thing. I would let it sit another week, at least, before even starting to check.

As for VISIBLE signs of carbonation ...I know of one inexact trick. You can shake a bottle, and look in the neck. You will see bubbles. Large bubbles that quickly collapse are signs of low carbonation. Small bubbles that stick around means you're carbonated to a better level.

Make sure you don't open a bottle for. Few hours after shaking, for obvious reasons.

Yeast know how to carbonate. If you put the right amount of sugar in and mixed it, they WILL carbonate. Give it time.

Three weeks at 70 degrees is the baseline for normal beers. Higher gravuty or lower temps can add to the time.

Do yourself a favor, OP - leave the beer alone for a couple more weeks before you even think about it.

A decent way to find out of you beer is carbonated is a catch 22 slightly. You can clean out a 20 oz soda bottle or smaller preferably sanitize it and twist on the cap as tightly as possible. When you first squeeze the bottle it should have some give to it but after a week or so as all the bottles carb that plastic bottle should become stiffer as well giving you an indication that your beer is carbonating/carbonated. I've never done this before but have read posts in other threads which allude to this process.

If patience isn't a problem I'd say just wait the 2-3 weeks. If its an IPA or other beer best enjoyed fresh as possible I try one at the 10 day mark.

Cheers

Dave37 said:
A decent way to find out of you beer is carbonated is a catch 22 slightly. You can clean out a 20 oz soda bottle or smaller preferably sanitize it and twist on the cap as tightly as possible. When you first squeeze the bottle it should have some give to it but after a week or so as all the bottles carb that plastic bottle should become stiffer as well giving you an indication that your beer is carbonating/carbonated. I've never done this before but have read posts in other threads which allude to this process.

If patience isn't a problem I'd say just wait the 2-3 weeks. If its an IPA or other beer best enjoyed fresh as possible I try one at the 10 day mark.

Cheers

Sorry forgot to mention the potential downside of the tester bottle beer possibly being wasted as it may not taste as good compared to the others if it is exposed to light or not sealed tightly enough and does not carbonate at all. Good luck.

Try one every week, after 9 days, after 16, and after 23...you will notice the difference.

Stick the day 9 one in the fridge on day 7, and drink it after its been in the fridge for the 2 days so that it carbonates the liquid fully with all the CO2 its made. Ditto for day 16, 23 as those days arrive put a bottle in a few days early.

GilSwillBasementBrews said:
I usually bottle one bottle in a PET bottle just to check for carbonation and have never had any issues with off flavor or less carbonation than any of the beers bottled In glass.

There you go! From someone who has done it before. I had read about it before but never practiced it god to know it works and won't get wasted and will taste just as good as the other bottles.

I second GilSwill. Fill up a plastic bottle and check as it get's firmer and firmer. Beer tastes just as good as the other ones. I've never had any issues and do it every batch.

The plastic bottle trick works quite well.

Top: Ordinary water bottle.
Bottom: NB's Caribou Slobber after three weeks in the bottle.

The bottle with beer in it became harder than a 16 year old's d*ck, the concave bottom became convex, and the bottle grew a quarter inch in length. After two days in the fridge, it tasted just like beer!

A 16 oz soda bottle would have been a better choice; still small enough to fit in the case/sixer along with the bottles, and built to hold pressure.

2012-12-13 11.37.25.jpg

Latest posts

Back