Substituting Fresh Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gopherhockey

Reaction score
I’m a fairly new home brewer and have only done 3 brews thus far.

I am interested in advancing past kits but am not ready to do my own ingredients from scratch just yet.

For example, I want to try a Phat Tyre Ale (clone). However, I am wondering if substituting fresh hops for the pellet hops is a good way to make a better beer? (I’m not sure I’m ready for all grain yet) … and if so, how does one substitute fresh hops for pellet?

The kit I want to get is from northern brewer and calls for:

1 oz. Liberty Hops (60 min)
.5 oz Hallertau (15 min)
.5 oz Hallertau (5 min)

Is there an easy way to substitute fresh? Or is it not really going to make a big difference..

I use fresh hops, but to be honest I don't know that I could tell the difference. If you do substitute them in a recipe, most say to add 10% to the bittering hops, but again I'm not sure if there are many who can tell, unless it's a very high alpha recipe.

I notice a big difference personally. Whole hops are less harsh to me, and they're much easier to use. Plus, I believe that more of the hop oils are intact in whole hops.

You can use the same amount...maybe add a bit more if the hops are important to the recipe. They key thing is to get a really good rolling boil. The pysical action of the wort is key to dissolving the hop oils.

I never use pellets, and I use an IBU calculator to make recipes. It doesn't adjust for whole or pellet I don't think. They're pretty much interchangeable. It's just that pellets, being ground to powder, are a bit more accessible, and with whole hops, you need to make sure you do a vigorous boil.

Cheers! :D

Back