Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > stuck fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
dasBuhbuh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stuck fermentation

So yea, first batch (english brown ale kit) has been sitting at a sg of 1.020 for the past three or so days...from the numerous other posts on here, i'd assume i have to repitch more yeast.

the og was about 1.040 (suggested was 1.040-1.048) but the fg, obviously, was supposed to be much lower, in the 1.010-1.012 range.

thoughts/comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
baybrew
Recipes 

Default wait

I am probably in no way qualified to answer your question as my first batch is still in primary. But I too thought mine was stuck. I started at 1.041 and after a week it was 1.020 then two days later still 1.020. I should have a FG of around 1.010-1.012.
After reading several posts on the board I decided to just give it some more time before I racked to secondary, and day before yesterday (day 15 I think) I go to check my gravity one last time and there is airlock activity. I open her up and there is an inch and a half of kreusen (I had none at all before). I decided not to disturb it by testing again. So I'll wait a little longer and check again in a few days.

Anyway. In my completely novice opinion I'd say give it some time see what happens. I may be totally wrong, but that's what I did in what sounds like a similar situation.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What temperature is it fermenting at, and what yeast are you using? Some higly flocculant yeasts settle out and stop fermenting before they finish the job, and lots of yeasts don't like lower temperatures. Before pitching more yeast, I would give it a good swirl to re suspend the yeast, and move it into a warmer room if the temperature is below about 65. If that fails, then pitching some more yeast may be a good idea.

-a.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You might try giving your bucket or carboy a gentle swirl to get the yeast going. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've made a lot of batches and only had to repitch one time. I thinks it should be the last resort.

Did you by chance use Munton's yeast?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
dasBuhbuh
Recipes 

its munton's dry yeast. i cant remember which one in particular, standard Brewer's Best kit. its in a swamp cooler thats at 68 degrees.

actually, i didnt notice any krausen when i checked it after 5 days so yea. it stopped for a while and then picked up again? hmmm....interesting.

thanks for the advice. ill let it sit a bit longer and well see how things go.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Munton's has it's place but it's not my favorite as I have never gotten it to go below 1.020.

You have two options. First is to bottle as is. It's a little high but I bottled a dozen batches that high with Munton's and never had a issue.

Or you can re-pitch using a different yeast to get it a little lower. I'm sure your beer will be good either way.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
dasBuhbuh
Recipes 

ok, thanks! i think i will work on my patience and hold off for a few more days then continue on with the process.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
baybrew
Recipes 

So I just checked my batch again. The kreusen has fallen and my FG is now 1.011
Think I'll rack it to secondary tomorrow.

This is a Midwest Classic ESB extract kit, used munton's dry yeast. Boiled and pitched on 10/2.
The recipe called for 3.5oz hops I put in all 4oz. It tastes kind of good now. Nice and hoppy with some fruity overtones. Hopefully will be even better after bottling and conditioning.
OG 1.041
FG 1.011

Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #9
StickyWicket
Recipes 

I have a stout that is in the midst of stuck fermentation. I also used Muntons, but the premium gold variety. Anyway, quickly fermented down to 1.020 and then stopped. I roused the yesterday and will give it a few days. But I've got pack on non-Muntons ready to go if the SG doesn't drop.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 AM   #10
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Must be the weekend of the Stuck Fermentation. I have a hefeweizen that seems to be stuck at 1020 also. The ideal FG is 1013. I used WLP300. It's been a week, I'm hoping that the rousing I gave it today will get it past the 1020 mark. If not, I have some dried yeast that I can pitch to finish it off.

Quick Reply