Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stretching a Brewers Best Recipe to 6 gallons?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #11
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
It is very fermentable

I am expecting a slight honey undertone to the octoberfest, and even though I ended up with 5.5 gallons, I also ended up with a bit over 3 gallons of wort.. as I had less boil off than expected, and being a new pot I over shot the water level a little.

That said the wort seems to have come out well, currently fermenting (started last night). The color of the beer is a nice deep amber.. I can't wait for it to be ready.. in 2 months.. UGH

So I don't have any worries about it being thin.. may have a lighter body though.

The honey will be just about non existent in the beer.

You will have beer. Not sure if it'll be great beer.

Couple of things. The beer will dry out, so it won't have much of any body to it. So it will be a bit loose on flavor and watery since you over shot the volumes for the amount of grain and extract you added. Honey is 100% fermentable, and will leave next to nothing after the yeast get done with it.

The beer will be higher ABV if that was your goal. You will have it out of balance, so it will appear sweeter and boozy, probably with a alcoholic punch to it. The higher alcohol will add sweetness and will make the beer appear thinner as well, both you probably didn't want.

It sounds like from previous posts and this, that you might be better served to follow the recipes a bit better, unless you are happy with the beer you are making, then thats all that matters.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Also, lagering is just letting it sit at lager temps for an extended period of time. It allows the yeast to flocc out and the beer age cold.

Adding honey will not help change anything. You will do nothing other than allow what yeast is left, to ferment the honey out, and run the slight risk of infecting the batch.

You will probably be better off like I said, to follow directions on these kits, especially learning like you are. Changing the recipes up so wild, will always lead to problems early on. Trust me, I did the same thing with my 1st batch and didn't like it. Then I stopped it and learned to follow the directions and make better beer, until I brewed enough to start making my own recipes from scratch and all grain.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Yea, at this point I have realized I have jumped in with both feet, and sunk a bit in the mud..

So.. I plan on taking this approach now that I have better equipment, and a will have a better place to work from (Cleaning the garage and adding a heater to the closet)

1) Learn from my experiences (Both batches cant be called "Mistakes" yet as they haven't come out of the bottles yet)

2) Figure out what I want to do for my first All-grain.. thinking another oktoberfest.

3) Then I will get the Brewers Best Extract kit that will match teh all-grain I PLAN on doing

4) Follow the recipe to the letter. This will give be a base line based on my Second batch of "Doctored" Oktoberfest and this one..

5) Then find a simple Oktoberfest/Marzen all grain recipe and do that..

6) Then a similar round of batches for a Milk Stout, or an Irish Red, etc..

At that point I should have a feel for the differences in results for extract and all-grain and can start working on new recipes.

I do have an ultimate goal now though, I want to malt my own barley, and use it in a simple recipe.

Main reason is I have a crazy idea, that may prove to be nothing.. or prove to be very unique. That is using Lentils in Beer.. I got the crazy idea, and have access to literally tons of Lentils

So I have to learn all the steps..

BTW your explanation is about exactly what it is coming out like.. a bit dry, with a nice sweetness, light body and with just a touch of tartness.

The 2 lbs of honey are already in the batch.. they went in at the boil. I knew the honey wouldnt do much for flavor especially given the kind of honey it was. It went in mainly to bump the ABV not for flavor.

Anyway, so far I really like what I have tasted coming out of the hydrometer tests.

My only home is the sour after flavor will come out with aging. As I have read a few others saying their young Marzens and Oktoberfests shows sour signs early that mellowed with age.

Knowing that is it JUST now going into Lagering, and has a few more weeks to age and then bottle condition.. My hope is that it will be really good.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Sounds like an okay plan, but no real reason to test extract v. all grain on the same recipe.

Both can be done great, or poorly, and will show the same signs. All grain in some peoples opinion, taste better, without the twang that cooked extract has. Some don't taste it. I can taste it and find that all grain taste better.

But more importantly, all grain lets YOU do what you want to do. Want a beer to have a bigger body, or less body? Want it to finish dry, or finish with some residual sweetness, then you can do that. Want to get it down really low in gravity, but still want some crazy body, with a nice head on it, it's easy to add the right grains and process to do so.

I'd HIGHLY suggest you get something that doesn't need to be lagered, unless you have a chest freezer/fridge that you have a controller on it to lager for extended periods of time.

I'd find something easy to go all grain will. Infact, since you don't even have a batch bottled yet, I'd pick something easy to do period. Doesn't have to be flavorless, but you should get an idea on your new gear, and a new process slowly. Otherwise you will be pissing money away on ingredients and time just trying to tweak recipes and make stuff up.

However, that said.. If that brings joy, and the beer you like, then have at it. I just hate to see someone make subpar beer that they aren't happy with, and someone who just tosses the kitchen sink in beer because it sounds good or better. I've ruined 2 batches because of that. I thought this and that sounded good, and took what was a good recipe and jacked it all up. Both ironically ended up being some of the more expensive batches I've done.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
<snip> I'd HIGHLY suggest you get something that doesn't need to be lagered, unless you have a chest freezer/fridge that you have a controller on it to lager for extended periods of time.
Yep.. have a nice big frig in the garage.. that prior to be home brewing was know as the "Beer fridge" and have been using a IR Temp sensor to measure the temps in the fridge at the different positions on the dial.. and its seems fairly accurate.

Quote:
I'd find something easy to go all grain will. Infact, since you don't even have a batch bottled yet, I'd pick something easy to do period. Doesn't have to be flavorless, but you should get an idea on your new gear, and a new process slowly. Otherwise you will be pissing money away on ingredients and time just trying to tweak recipes and make stuff up.
What would you recommend..? To me all the extract / partial mash kits seem about the same.

Obviously so "easy" I guess depends on is the process easy, or is the recipe is uncomplicated.

I can follow directions for the most part So I would assume "easy" would be a simple recipe that doesn't require a lot of different grains or something.

If it helps.. I prefer the maltier and sweeter beers.. not a fan of IPA or a lot of in your face hops.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Try a Porter, or an ESB. A Brown Ale, a Hefe, heck even a Blonde.

All of those are low hops, nice beers. Some maltier than others, but none of those styles are very hop forward.

I have a pretty simple Chocolate Oatmeal Porter recipe I made under my name that people like. It's not hoppy, it's pretty easy to make. Easy as in, not a ton of additions, because additional grain isn't any harder than less grain. It's all getting mashed at the same time.

Easy, in that it doesn't have a ton of additions during the boil, and easy in that it is a beer style that doesn't need to be baby sat, or special treatment, it's ready relatively fast, and can hide most flaws of a new brewer.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Try a Porter, or an ESB. A Brown Ale, a Hefe, heck even a Blonde.

All of those are low hops, nice beers. Some maltier than others, but none of those styles are very hop forward.

I have a pretty simple Chocolate Oatmeal Porter recipe I made under my name that people like. It's not hoppy, it's pretty easy to make. Easy as in, not a ton of additions, because additional grain isn't any harder than less grain. It's all getting mashed at the same time.

Easy, in that it doesn't have a ton of additions during the boil, and easy in that it is a beer style that doesn't need to be baby sat, or special treatment, it's ready relatively fast, and can hide most flaws of a new brewer.
Could your Chocolate Oatmeal Porter be done BIAB..?

Haven't gotten a Mash-tun yet Its on the list after I get by "Brew Room" done.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:

I can follow directions for the most part So I would assume "easy" would be a simple recipe that doesn't require a lot of different grains or something.

If it helps.. I prefer the maltier and sweeter beers.. not a fan of IPA or a lot of in your face hops.
There are a ton of great recipes in our recipe database. I'm sure you can find something you'd like and we can help you with directions if you need them.

If you like malty, my Dead Guy clone is a malt bomb to me. (Under my avatar in the "recipes" pull down).

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #19
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Could your Chocolate Oatmeal Porter be done BIAB..?

Haven't gotten a Mash-tun yet Its on the list after I get by "Brew Room" done.
I don't see why not. I haven't ever BIAB. But certainly would work. Might need to scale it down maybe, so use Beersmith for that, it'll help a ton.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
CDGoin
Recipes 

Will do.. still trying to get the hang of the program..

Who knows might go and make/buy some of the other components by the end of the week.

My first beer was delivered early, and drinking it now. On beer three and its still good and getting better (Of course after Beer 3 all beer gets better). Compares quite nicely to Duck-Rabbits Milk Stout..

Quick Reply