Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Strange infection problem (related to honey?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
sinoth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strange infection problem (related to honey?)

Heya guys, got a strange problem for ya. About a month ago I posted about my first infected batch here. I bottled the stuff even though it was super funky hoping it would mellow a little... here we are a month later and it is still super funky. I have very little hope for that batch, but I can't bring myself to pour it

I brewed another batch after that one (after cleaning my equipment thorougly). It was a Newcastle Brown Ale clone, and turned out -great-. Thinking my infection is cleared, I brewed another wheat almost identical to my first infected batch, and it is infected again!

I know bacteria can be weird, and it's possible I just got lucky with my in-between-infections batch... but I cleaned just as insanely each time so I'm wondering if something else is wrong.

The big difference between the brown ale and my two infected wheat batches is that the wheat recipe used a pound of honey. Could this somehow be the cause of my super funky taste? I used one of those generic honey bears from Kroger, and as far as I can tell it is 100% clover honey with no preservatives. I add the honey the last 5 minutes of boil. The wort tasted so good before fermenting, but tastes awful now with a hint of rotten vegetables.

Any insignt? Should I just switch to glass carboy and get all new tubing?

For reference, my most recent infected recipe is as follows:
6.6 lb wheat LME
1.0 lb honey
1.0 oz spaltz hop pellets (3.5%)
Safbrew WB-06 yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well....Generic or not, honey has pretty strong antiseptic properties. I can pretty confidently say that your infection did not come from the honey.

Have you had anyone else actually diagnose your infection? It could be that you just don't like the taste that the honey provides.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Honey is one of very few natural foods that does not spoil. So I doubt that's it.The Egyptinas used to use Honey during mumification.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Well....Generic or not, honey has pretty strong antiseptic properties. I can pretty confidently say that your infection did not come from the honey.

Have you had anyone else actually diagnose your infection? It could be that you just don't like the taste that the honey provides.
+1

Are you sure it's just not green?????

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
sinoth
Recipes 

I took a bottle down to the LHBS and the guy there thinks I have some wild yeast and not a bacterial infection. I'm gonna nuke all my equipment with some PBW and try again. Thanks for the insight!

Quick Reply