Steep temp too hot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danger_D

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not a total noob. I have about 8 brews under my belt. Today i stepped away while i was steeping my grains. I read some other people that had done this, but my temp was 185+ and for over 5 min at least. I haven't read some one butchering it that bad yet. So do i scrap the grains and save the extract and hops? Im avoiding rookie tasting beers and trying to step up my quality. will i get some off flavors from the tannins i released? And i kept calm and drank another homebrew or how ever the saying goes(which was probably part of the cause in the first place haha). The grain were:
Crystal 80
honey malt
chocolate malt
Munich malt

thanks!

This may be too late to be helpful, but I would say taste it. I bet you're fine. If you taste a lot of astrincency, you'll know to start over.

185 should be no problem. It is not desirable if you are trying to make the perfect beer, but I doubt there will be any issue, and if it did produce some tannins (possible, but unlikely), I doubt you would notice.

I know it is an old book, but it was a recognized text many years ago, and people made decent beer from it; 'Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy', Dave Line, provided directions for extract brewing, which had the steeping grains in the wort through the whole boil.

In the future, always keep some cold ice water on hand to lower temps quickly; i have to do this sometimes to lower temps

My buddy and I just had the same thing happen to our 4th batch. Can anyone explain why this is a bad thing? The science behind having the steep temp too high?

Steep temp ranges are pretty much in line with mash temps. Steeping can be safely done from 150F to about 165F,but I never go over 160F for steeping. And steeping for 30 minutes is fine. I like to sparge them as well. Better to get more juice outta the grains then just adding water to get to boil volume,I say. Too high,like 170-180+,& you can start getting tanins even though it's now claimed to be a function of water PH & volume.

Back