Steady gravity reading for a week but tiny bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrewdude

Reaction score
Hi All, still very much a noob but starting to get things figured out on my 3rd brew. I do have a question I couldn't find an exact answer for though.

3 weeks ago I brewed an extract American Wheat with steeping grains and kicked off the ferment with a starter I made from Wyeast 1010. I had already converted a chest freezer with a Johnson Control A419 and got my ferment temp running at 62 degrees (actual temp, not the programmed temp). The ferment went great and I had the 'hole of butt' smell that I've read 1010 is notorious for within a few days. The ferment slowed significantly within the first week and I had a gravity reading of 1.014. I know it isn't necessary with a wheat but I transferred to a secondary after the week and it's been in the secondary for the last 2 weeks. It's had a steady gravity reading of 1.012 for the last 9 days.

Most of what I've read says I'm ready to bottle after a steady reading for 3 days and I'm well beyond that but I've got clumps of tiny tiny bubbles on the surface of the beer, at first I thought it was some kind of growth but close inspection verifies they are bubbles. Do I need to wait for these to disappear or can I safely bottle based off the gravity reading?

Hi All, still very much a noob but starting to get things figured out on my 3rd brew. I do have a question I couldn't find an exact answer for though.

3 weeks ago I brewed an extract American Wheat with steeping grains and kicked off the ferment with a starter I made from Wyeast 1010. I had already converted a chest freezer with a Johnson Control A419 and got my ferment temp running at 62 degrees (actual temp, not the programmed temp). The ferment went great and I had the 'hole of butt' smell that I've read 1010 is notorious for within a few days. The ferment slowed significantly within the first week and I had a gravity reading of 1.014. I know it isn't necessary with a wheat but I transferred to a secondary after the week and it's been in the secondary for the last 2 weeks. It's had a steady gravity reading of 1.012 for the last 9 days.

Most of what I've read says I'm ready to bottle after a steady reading for 3 days and I'm well beyond that but I've got clumps of tiny tiny bubbles on the surface of the beer, at first I thought it was some kind of growth but close inspection verifies they are bubbles. Do I need to wait for these to disappear or can I safely bottle based off the gravity reading?

Based on the gravity readings, you should be able to bottle. The clumps of bubbles are most likely due to CO2 that is coming out of solution.

Back