Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starting Equipment With Room to Grow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
andy6026
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Wow. I didn't expect so much good advice. Thought I'd be lucky to get one response, tbh. I really appreciate

A lot of it's reassuring. I see the sense of the fermenters and the bottle cappers (to kegs!). The hard decision is mulling over the bichmann burner. I really admire that they put thought into their customers using something and liking it. It looks like a beautifull constructed burner compared to others that look flimsy. The cost is so high though, and from what their own chart says, their propane use isn't as efficient as a turkey roaster. If it's simply a time factor, then I can imagine sitting out there for a good part of the day boiling rather than charging through the process as fast as possible, especially if the costs are that much lower upfront and continuously. Or am I totally thinking wrong here? Are the turkey one's sturdy enough to do the job safely for some time to come, and are they more propane efficient than the bichmann as bichmann's chart suggests?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Other positive to the Blichmann is the natural gas hookup. My brother has an extra natural gas hookup so on days when it's freezing, we cna brew big batches inside.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
andy6026
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Just to add to this if anyone is interested in hearing - I thought I'd save some cost and make my own wort-chiller after seeing a few youtube videos and looking at pictures of the ones they sell. I can do that, I think. So I went to home depot (I'm in Canada) looking for 25-30 feet of 3/8 copper tubing, expecting to pay in the neighborhood of 30 bucks for it. It didn't quite work that way.

My choice was between a 20 feet length of 3/8th ($35 +tax) or a 50 foot length of 1/2 ($56 +tax). I hmmmed and hawd a lot. I walked out with the 50 foot 1/2 inch, tubing, fitting, clamps and a cheap pipe bender for $100 all in. I wondered like hell if I bought too much.

When I got home I called around to see if there was a better fit/deal around and everything else was astronomically more expensive. I'm looking forward to assembling it.

Here's the keg (if pictures work on this...)

Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The Blichmann chart is comparing the Blichmann burner to a 27 BTU Turkey Fryer. The Blichmann is MUCH more efficient than the typical propane burners used for home brewing. Nothing will get you to strike temps or boil faster or more efficiently.

You missed my point that the same orifice used in the Blichmann Burner is used in much cheaper burners. You don't have to spend $150.00 unless you want the bling, you can get the same performance from a $70.00 burner. Check out the Bayou Classic KAB4. Same burner, cheaper housing. You get all of the benefits of the same burner orifice (output, efficiency), but you don't have to pay for the stainless steel bling of the Blichmann housing:

http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-4534259-10712037?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.garden.com%2Fitem%2F 16-in-banjo-cooker-whose-guard%2FG29729%2F%3Fsrccode%3DCJGARDEN%26intid%3DC JGARDEN&cjsku=G29729

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply