spigot wrench necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking into buying two 12l PET carboys (one as fermenter, the other as fermenter/bottling bucket) with spigot and was wondering how easy it is to remove and clean the spigot.... I found this spigot wrench and was surprised because it seems that the spigot has to be unscrewed from the inside. How would that be possible without such a wrench? Seems like I might need to buy it...

https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr...ijohns-pet/d/spigot-wrench-60-cm#.U_B2B_mSx1E

Would be thankful for any advice!

Ps: Also, is the 12l PET suitable as a bottling bucket, even though the spigot is two inches (5cm) above the bottom?

Are you planning to make beer or wine. Beer carboys or fermentation buckets will not have a spigot. Bottling buckets for beer will have a spigot. No wrench is used because both the spigot and bucket are typically plastic. Finger tight is the norm for a bottling bucket to avoid cracking the plastic.

The wrench may be used if the equipment is stainless steel.

I did not see Brouland in the link of your original post. So I take it you are in Europe.
You will need the spigot wrench to hold the nut on the inside while turning the spigot body. Did not look to see what the wrench was made of. Hopefully plastic so chance of scratches are lessened.

Carboys with spigots can be used for fermentors. Trub may cover and plug the spigot making them useless. A carboy for fermenting without a spigot is easier to clean and no accidental leaks during fermentation. An auto siphon makes racking from above the trub layer very easy though. The beer going into the bottling bucket for bulk priming would be very clean.

A bucket with a spigot would work better for bottling. A pick up tube can be added to the spigot inside the bucket so beer loss is limited to a couple of ounces. The carboy with spigot, even with tilting during bottling, would leave more beer in the carboy.

Unless you have a REALLY skinny arm, you will have a hard time removing and reinstalling the spigot without the wrench! The nut must be held from the inside as you tighten from the outside. I'm not sure why they call it optional; it's pretty much impossible without it...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks, Flars and Demus.

So seems like I have to get the wrench...
Why is it easier though to clean a carboy/bucket without a spigot? Just some extra work to clean the spigot, I assume...

I already got one 'auto' siphon but it's one with a pump and it's still a hassle and gets loads of air bubbles!
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008R4X5XU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Would the real auto siphon, like this one from brouwland really make it 'automatic'; i.e. me not having to do anything but stand and watch?
https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr.../d/automatic-syphon-1-7-m-tubing#.U_C1WfmSx1E

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Flars and Demus.

So seems like I have to get the wrench...
Why is it easier though to clean a carboy/bucket without a spigot? Just some extra work to clean the spigot, I assume...

I already got one 'auto' siphon but it's one with a pump and it's still a hassle and gets loads of air bubbles!
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008R4X5XU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Would the real auto siphon, like this one from brouwland really make it 'automatic'; i.e. me not having to do anything but stand and watch?
https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr.../d/automatic-syphon-1-7-m-tubing#.U_C1WfmSx1E

Thanks again for the help.
The spigot on a PET carboy will need to be removed, and disassembled, for cleaning after each fermentation. A fermentor without a spigot has no hidden areas to clean.

The first siphon pictured/linked is what I use to transfer kerosene from the can to the heater reservoir. The second one pictured/linked is the real auto siphon. I opted for the lesser diameter one than the larger diameter high flow one. I figured less suction, less chance of air intrusion after years of use if the seal would start wearing out. (Always store disassembled and dry.) Purchase the clip to hold the siphon to the carboy mouth or bucket lip. Makes it hands free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip! I just exchanged my siphon for the Mini version in my order and got the clip as well.

But will it be long enough for the 12l carboy? It says that the retracted length is 34cm while the height of the 12l carboy is 40cm. I also use 1 gallon carboys but it would suck if I couldn't use it for the 12l one.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip! I just exchanged my siphon for the Mini version in my order and got the clip as well.

But will it be long enough for the 12l carboy? It says that the retracted length is 34cm while the height of the 12l carboy is 40cm. I also use 1 gallon carboys but it would suck if I couldn't use it for the 12l one.

Thanks again!

That is the short one. Cancel the order and get the small diameter auto siphon that is about 58 centimeters.

What???

OK, sorry about nagging you about this but I need the small one for the 1 gallon/4l carboys and the big one for the 12l one????

You can use the longer one in the smaller carboy. The short siphons are made for brewers who only do one gallon batches.

Ok, great! I think I got the right one now.
They both have the same diameter but I got the normal sized one.

Thanks so much for your help!

Latest posts

Back