Specific Gravity Problem, or Paranoia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinostylee

Reaction score
Brewing an Irish Dry Stout. When I poured my wort into the primary, I never mixed it up to aerate it after I topped it off. My original SG was 1.033, but I think that is because the reading was taken from the top of the bucket, which I think had an unrepresentative sample since I never mixed it up (i.e. it was more watery). I know that’s too low for my beer.

4 days later, it was bubbling less than twice per minute, so I racked it into the secondary and got a SG reading of 1.024.

The airlock bubbled slowly for another day or so. I took a SG reading last night (the 8-day mark) and it was 1.020.

The final SG for my brew is supposed to be 1.014 to 1.008. Does it sound like I’m on track, or should the SG be falling more rapidly? I suppose if my original reading was not accurate and we assume that it was greater, it has fallen a decent amount. I guess I’ll wait a week and see where it’s at then. It’s only been one week. (By the way . . . tastes awesome out of the hydrometer jar!)

I’m wondering if I should either 1) mix it up a bit, or 2) re-pitch the yeast at some point.

I know I’m probably just impatient!

Definatly give it that extra week just to be sure. You can always try giving the carboy a little bit of a swirl to get the yeasties back up to the top. Just a few swirls clockwise, let it settle, then a few counterclockwise. Be careful not to aerate it! (but you knew that :D ).

You probably have slow activity because you didn't mix it good.

At this point I would probably say the OG was a false reading, but I would still let it go to the target FG.

I wouldn't worry about it. :D

Sounds like it's doing fine....

Back