Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Some Newb Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
c0sm0nautt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Some Newb Questions

Hey all! I just got my brewing and ingredient kit and I'm ready to go. I have a few questions:

I'm worried about the viability of my White Labs liquid yeast. I had it shipped in an icepack, but the shipping took a few extra days and the vials arrived room temperature and cloudy. I read that c02 bubbles will form after I let it warm up. My ingredient kit (it's a Belgian Wit) also came with dry yeast. If the c02 bubbles don't form when shaking the liquid yeast, Can I use both the dry yeast and the liquid yeast as an extra precaution, or will this be a yeast overdose?

Everything else seems pretty straight forward. I'm about to pop in the DVD which came with my kit, from MidWest Supplies. I read in my How to Brew by Palmer that brewing is 80% sanitation, so I am going to make sure I get everything good with my NoRinse sanitizer.

Another question I have it about fermenting my Red Lager. Can I put the fermenter and carboy outside at the end of October when the temperate will be cold instead of using a refrigerator? I don't have access to a secondary refrigerator.

Thanks for any replies in advance! Any newb tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Yeast is harder to kill than that.

Outside lagering? Why not. It will work fine, but temp fluctuations are never good.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I've been drinkin' a bit tonight, so I'm not going to attempt to answer all your questions. But I will say that trying to ferment a lager outdoors is not a good idea, you want to ferment it at a stable temp. The outside temp will swing too much on a day-to-day basis (too warm in the day, too cool at night).

EDIT: well, like cheezydemon said, you could try it...

Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Welcome to the forum.
Your yeast should be fine, but you should make a starter if you're using liquid yeast.
I personally wouldn't like to brew outside, as there is about a 12F difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures, and the temperatures can be very unpredictable. (Temperature variations can create havoc with fermentation.)
See http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/11101?from=tenDay_bottomnav_undeclared.
If you do decide to brew outside, make sure you cover the brew to shield it from the light (unless you like skunk flavored beer).

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Like ajf said, if you make a starter not only will you be able to pitch a proper amount of yeast, but you'll also know for sure whether or not the yeast is viable.

Here's a thread to help you with that:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
c0sm0nautt
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies fellas. The yeast starter looks like a good idea. To my knowledge my brew kit did not come with any DME (dry malt extract?)... only liquid malt and specialty grains. For the yeast starter, can I use half a cup of my liquid stuff?

What's the deal with dry yeast? Do you just throw it into your wort after it cools?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Buy some dme... Dry malt extract... And mark a starter. 2 litters of water per pound of dme is close enough to right for a 1.040 starter. Shake the stater every time you think about it to aerate.

Not sure why the kit had dry and liquid yeast... I guess the LHBS sold you extra yeast. If you use a starter you do not need dried yeast.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
NewrBrwr
Recipes 

When I order from Midwest sometimes they'll send the dry yeast also even when you choose the liquid option. I assume they forget to pull the dry one from the kit when you upgrade.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
Teaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cats.
That sounds a bit high.
I think 3 oz dme per qt water.
1 qt water to 3 oz dme with a vial of liquid yeast should give you about the right amount.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
c0sm0nautt
Recipes 

Hmmm, seems like the starter is out of the question for me because my kit did not come with DME, only LME.

I think I'm going to try using both the dry yeast and the liquid yeast to ensure enough yeast. I wonder how it is going to taste. :P Anyone ever try that before?

Quick Reply