New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > small batches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
SaltyTX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default small batches

Do you all who make smaller than 5g batches (I have a 3 gal keg for experimenting) still use a 5g carboy?

I've always read bad things about too much empty/head space. Should I be worried about making a small batch in a bigger bottle?

What say you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTX View Post
Should I be worried about making a small batch in a bigger bottle?
no. at least, i don't. i routinely ferment 2.5 gal in my 5 gallon carboy.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I'll bet you are concerned about all that open space in the larger bucket or carboy and the opportunity for oxidation or contamination. I was too until I started thinking about it. When you pitch the yeast, you try your best to aerate the wort so the yeast can multiply. At this point, all that air won't hurt anything. Then the yeast start the fermentation and excrete CO2. This CO2 is heavier than the air in the bucket and forms a covering layer above the fermenting wort and gradually pushes out all the air. No air, no oxidation.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I do 2.5 gal batches in my Mr Beer keg. There's sometimes not enough head room but I loosen the lid just enough to let the blow off out then tighten again. Just be sure you have the equipment close by to manage the blow off and don't try and put a 3 gal batch in a 3 gal bucket. You need a little headroom.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
SaltyTX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

RM MN..

I personally could find no reason it would be a problem, but have read on here that perhaps its not the best..

I'll just do it. 2.5-3 gal in a 5 gal carboy!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i do half batches as well. call them sample batches in my 6.5g fermenter. no worries about a blow off tube if you have that much headspace. if i understand it right, beer does not matter but wine does on headspace.

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

There is a ton of small batch threads on here, including those in the similar thread box below.

You can brew any sized batch you want. I do a lot of 2.5 gallon recipe test batches. You can even do 1 gallon AG brews. The basic brewing guys call that the six pack brew.

A recipe is scalable, so a 1 gallon recipe is 1/5th of a 5 gallon one....a 2.5 gallon one is half the ingredients.

2.5 gallons is one case of beer.

I use my normal 5 gallon mash tun for most of them, but I do a lot of Experiments, test recipes, or beers that I know I won't need/want more than a case of.

I sometimes use an unmodified 2 gallon cooler for a lot of my small btaches it holds up to 4 pounds of grain.

I just us a folding steamer in the bottom along with a grain bag. Just break off or unscrew the center post.

One of these, it helps to lift the grain bag above the spigot to keep the drainig from getting stuck.

I posted a lot of info in the mr beer thread that you may find helpful.

I posted some all grain small batchrecipes here, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/785533-post702.html

ANd a bit of a primer on AG with pics here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/738927-post659.html

But I mostly use my regular 5 gallon cooler mash tun which holds 14 pounds of grains...and 14 pounds of grain for a 2.5 gallon batch can be a mighty big beer.....

One of our memebers chubbykid had plans for a minikeg mashtun http://sites.google.com/site/chubbykidhomebrew/Home/equipment/mini-keg-lauter-tun

THe basic brewing radio guys are big fans of tiny batch brewing...3/4 gallon (1 6pack) in a 1 gallon winejug fermenter.

They demo the 6-pack IPA here

http://en.sevenload.com/shows/Basic-Brewing/episodes/PERGFAJ-01-12-06-Basic-Brewing-Video-A-Six-Pack-of-IPA
and they also have done barleywines as well.

I ferment my 2.5 gallon batches in all manner of things, I have a 3 gallon better bottle, I also use 3 gallon water jugs, AND my old Mr Beer keg (it's perfect because you can even lager in your own fridge with it when you are starting out.)

You can even ferment a 2.5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy if you want, though I would say a 6.5 gallon carboy is a little too much headspace for my confort.

Hope this helps....any more questions feel free to ask...But look through ALL THE OTHER INFO first and I bet you, you won't HAVE any other questions. This has been thoroughly covered like just about everything else.

Oh, and you don't have to do anything with hops in terms of hop utilization, except scale it in the same proportion, as you do your grain. Nothing else.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

natureboy68 Likes This 

Quick Reply