Sludge, Kegging and Potential Badness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dante42

Reaction score
So this story has several stages.

I move my beer out of the secondary into my kegs. I added half of my priming sugar to help carbonate. I went to seal the keg, only to find that the pressure valve leaked. All the stores were closed. I closed the lid as tightly as I could and crossed my fingers. Today I was able to get a new lid.

When I removed the old lid, I discovered that a film of sludge is resting on top of my beer. I am assuming that this is because it was exposed to bad air for a day. But it could just be fermentation from the priming sugar. Does anyone know which it is?

If I move it out of this keg, very gently siphoning from the bottom, and leave the sludge and about an inch of beer in the old keg, can I save this? Is it too late? What do I do?

:confused:

I think that's just Krausen. You did add sugar right? Fermentation.

If the keg was clean when the beer went in, and you didn't aerate it when racking, there's no "bad air" issues. Likely the only flow from the keg was co2 pushing the air in the headspace OUT the relief valve. You're probably fine.

Back