Screwed up my first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etownpaul

Reaction score
Hi there, I made my first all grain wort 2 weeks ago. I had some issues with my mash tun spilling a bit as well as a stuck sparge which ended up both making a huge mess and costing me a lot of wasted valuable sugar in my wort. Long story short I ended up with a specific gravity of. 1.035 as starting point. Since I hadn't found this site yet, I figured this might be a good starting SG so I went ahead with brewing it. Right now it's been in the primary for 2 weeks and the SG is down to 1.008. I punched this into an online calculator and got my ABV around 3.25%. Would I be able to add some sugar at this point to get my ABV up to around 4.5% or am I stuck with this low alcohol beer? I don't want to destroy the flavour of this batch, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience if I'm stuck with it as is. It is a Czech pils btw

Thanks
Paul

For a pils I think that I would just leave it alone. I wouldn't want to affect the taste. Sugar will dry the beer out.

Try it for this batch and learn from it. You still made beer.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured. As long as it tastes good it won't go to waste.

Back