Rye IPA Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like Simcoe as a flavor and aroma hop in my house rye IPA. I usually use Magnum as a bittering hop. Dry hopping with a couple ounces of Simcoe is great too. The citrus notes from the hops play well with the spiciness from the rye.

Can't go wrong with a little Nelson. I have done a columbus/nelson combo twice that everyone loved.

I initially went for citrusy hops and wondered about hops "known" for "spiciness" such as Mt Hood or Santiam.

I've not made an IPA with those types of hops, but I wondered if they'd flow better.

The only rye IPA I've had is Ruthless Rye, and I love this year's the most. But I wondered if doing something not so normal would be good.

Brewing mine up this weekend. I've had great success with citrus hops. Simcoe is another great choice. I am using chinook and liberty this weekend.

This is what I'd do because I did it before and I thought it was great (pretty similar to ruthless rye, in fact). And before you ask, I don't know why I did it originally...I think I copied a recipe.

1.0oz Chinook 60min
0.5oz Chinook 20min
0.5oz Willamette 20min
0.5oz Chinook 5min
0.5oz Willamette 5min
1.0oz Centennial dry hop

If you don't have a grain bill, I can give you what I did as well. Like I said, I thought it was pretty similar to ruthless rye. If you've got your own grain bill already, no worries. Mine is partial mash, but it's not a hard conversion to AG.

Mine is a partial mash as well, but I am not stuck on it. It's just an idea to work off of. I've only made a rye pale, which was good, but lacking the rye punch I was after.

Please do share your recipe.

I used small hits of Chinook (at 60min and 10 min) and bowlfuls of Falconer's Flight (at flameout and dry-hop) in a big rye IIPA. I found the Chinook worked nicely with the sticky spiciness of the rye. And the Falconer's Flight hop blend, well those are just chronically tasty and would work in any American IPA.

Does anyone think a rye IPA using Mt Hood and Santium wouldn't be all that great?

I've only had one British IPA long ago and didn't like it much, and I'm afraid of trying this and getting a similar result. But I did use Mt Hood in my rye pale, and I liked it (42 IBU's with equal amounts @ 60/15/5 mins). But the hops didn't really seem to stand out much.

British IPA's are normally made with EK goldings only and use Maris Otter. Recently we have seen a surge of more american style ones, although of course the recipe is originally English.

Per your request:

Briess Golden Light DME 6.0 lb
Briess Vienna Malt 1.0 lb
Briess 6-Row Brewers Malt 1.0 lb
Briess Caramel Munich 60L 0.5 lb
Flaked Rye0.5lb

Wyeast 1272 with appropriate starter.

Hop schedule as above.

Awesome! Thanks!

Can you tell me what Munich 60 is like, what it adds? I've not seen it and don't know how it differs from say Briess C 60.

I don't know. I just followed the recipe I found. I would think any caramunich would be fine. If it doesn't happen to be 60L, who cares.

Back