Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Rule of thumb for when to rack to a secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
PPRK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rule of thumb for when to rack to a secondary?

to those who do rack to a secondary,

Is there a general rule to guide you? All my experience (so far) has come from the prepackaged 'beer in box' which explicitly tells you time and the FG to aim for. However, I tried out the 'centennial blonde' recipe and although the author give you an OG, there isnt a FG value to shoot for - at least that I've come across skimming across that monster thread...

So if you're in a situation like this what do you do? I've been told that watching the bubbling end as an indicator is always wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1049 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPRK View Post
to those who do rack to a secondary,

Is there a general rule to guide you? All my experience (so far) has come from the prepackaged 'beer in box' which explicitly tells you time and the FG to aim for. However, I tried out the 'centennial blonde' recipe and although the author give you an OG, there isnt a FG value to shoot for - at least that I've come across skimming across that monster thread...

So if you're in a situation like this what do you do? I've been told that watching the bubbling end as an indicator is always wrong.
Well if you absolutely insist on using a secondary vessel (most here will argue that it is unnecessary). The best way to know for sure what your FG is, is to take multiple gravity readings over consecutive days, if you get 3 readings that have not changed you have likely reached your FG.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

JimRausch Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

FG for Centennial is: Final Gravity: 1.008

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 08-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I did the AG Centennial Blonde recipe 3 weeks ago, although I tweaked it up to pale ale range. OG was 1.055, FG 1.012. I couldn't stand the wait and did try one this past weekend after only one week in the bottle. Still, VERY nice.
Now, my story and input on the 'secondary debate'. When I started about 20 months ago, I used a secondary on everything. Now, I'm more selective. If I need that particular yeast cake after 2 weeks, then I secondary. If I don't, I let it go for 3 in primary. If I'm adding fruit I secondary. Dryhopping, lately I've been doing in primary. I may get a few flames for saying this, but I believe my beers that have been in secondaries are more clear than those in primary-only. And I coldcrash and use gelatin on everything. I think it's because I'm part Scottish and try to get every last drop of beery goodness from my bottling bucket, so invariably I suck up some trub in the primary. There's less sediment in the secondary. "That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Your results may vary".

Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
AZBeerNut

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Best rule of thumb: don't.

If you're going to dry hop, add wood chips, etc...... okay... otherwise no point.

As for when, it's all about gravity. When you've hit your FG, that's when it's time. Apart from that, there is no perfect formula mon frere... even when using a box... even if using the same recipe you've used before. Just wait until your FG is consistent and rack away!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

I don't even dry hop in secondary. Oaking or fruit yes.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you want to use it, after the beer is done fermenting. The rule of thumb on FG is 25% of the OG or when the gravity stops dropping. The secondary is only for extra additions or allowing for sedimintation while not on sitting on the yeast.

I've used it. I've skipped it. I don't know that my beers go any faster or taste better either way.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel66 View Post
Well if you absolutely insist on using a secondary vessel (most here will argue that it is unnecessary). The best way to know for sure what your FG is, is to take multiple gravity readings over consecutive days, if you get 3 readings that have not changed you have likely reached your FG.
This. Although I would claim you can take your readings 3 days apart.

Worth noting that a projected target final gravity is just that, a projected target. Reaching it does *not* mean that it is your actual final gravity or that it is safe to secondary.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
PPRK
Recipes 

Responses make sense. Thanks

However, what would the fall out if one would transfer to the secondary and the fermentation is near completing and the bubbling has slowed to (almost nothing) and the SP is close to the FG (but not quite there)

Could all these not complete in the secondary ?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPRK View Post
Responses make sense. Thanks

However, what would the fall out if one would transfer to the secondary and the fermentation is near completing and the bubbling has slowed to (almost nothing) and the SP is close to the FG (but not quite there)

Could all these not complete in the secondary ?
yeahhh.... I think you are leaving the area of rational discussion and into the realm of biased and heated opinions.

I've heard many people do this and they had a rationale I never understood and they do this and make perfectly decent beers. But *I* would feel that when you transfer you are removing the beer from the yeast. And if it's not done fermenting then it wants the yeast that is left behind to finish fermenting. There's probably many rational responses to this, there's enough yeast in suspension, there something else about another thing, etc. But seeing as I'm in the don't secondary school, it seems secondarying early is just even wronger. But my main reason is because when I was a newbie my LHBS said it's important to never transfer or bottle until final gravity has stabilized, and I thought my LHBS was so super awesome cool that I'm repeating everything they say as fanboy gospel.

So in all honesty, people *do* transfer before gravity has stabilized. Their beers don't seem awful. But it sure as heck *seems* wrong to me and I really *want* to dis-recommend it but I can't claim I've got the empirical evidence to back me up. But the rationale "the beer needs its yeast to finish fermenting and it hasn't" sure rings heavy for me.

It's probably a matter of degree. Don't do it if fermentation is only 60 percent complete but it's okay if fermentation is 80 percent complete (or whatever). But I just feel why risk doing it early when you can play it safe and do it late and, indeed, you don't need to do it all?

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

LovesIPA Likes This 

Quick Reply