Ruby red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewster

Reaction score
Hi all, just started my second brew, a Ruby Red, I added two cinemon sticks to my brew, should I be worried it's all broken up and bitty? ( looks messy) Second question, the instructions ask for only 4 days fermentation.....is there a problem leaving longer and going against these instructions? Only reason I ask is most like to leave it weeks or until they get a stable hydrometer reading.

I haven't brewed with cinnamon, so will defer that question to others.

Regarding the fermentation, yes! Do ignore those instructions!

Fermentation time depends on a lot of factors, gravity of the wort, temperature, yeast strain, but four days is awfully short.

Stable hydrometer readings are your friend! The yeast work on their own timetable, not according to any printed kit instructions. If you get stable readings three days running, it's safe to bottle -- but my advice to a new brewer starting would be to think on the order of about 2 weeks, but be prepared to adjust accordingly based on hydrometer readings.

Good luck!

Mozart said:
I haven't brewed with cinnamon, so will defer that question to others. Regarding the fermentation, yes! Do ignore those instructions! Fermentation time depends on a lot of factors, gravity of the wort, temperature, yeast strain, but four days is awfully short. Stable hydrometer readings are your friend! The yeast work on their own timetable, not according to any printed kit instructions. If you get stable readings three days running, it's safe to bottle -- but my advice to a new brewer starting would be to think on the order of about 2 weeks, but be prepared to adjust accordingly based on hydrometer readings. Good luck!
Thanks very much Mozart.

Latest posts

Back