removing from blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're the second to ask this, just today. You're thoughts are correct. Either never, or when krausen falls. Personally, I say why mess with it and let it be till I'm ready to transfe.r

If the blowoff was vigorous then I remove the blowoff tube after the agressive fermentation is over and replace it with an airlock. Leaving a bucket of water with that much gunk in it tends to smell after a week or 2.

True, but if it's so dirty that it needs emptied then the need for a blowoff is likely over.

I beg to differ. I've had plenty an active fermentation that required the device I was using to be dumped and replaced. Either a small LME pail, up to a 12 - 16qt pot.

I just say why test it. Leave it on till you transfer. In the other thread on this subject this morning someone shared a story of thinking it was done, put on an airlock, and the thing blew.

Back