reason for adding extract at the end of the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I see many folk on this forum say that the reason for adding extract at the end of the boil is to prevent scorching and caramelization and I don't doubt that that is a reason but might there be another reason that applies to even the most careful brewer and that is one that deals with the utilization of hops?

The lower the gravity of the wort during the 60 minute boil time means the greater the utilization of the hops,doesn't it and so if there is no good reason to increase the sugar content of the boil - and there would seem to be none because the LME or the DME do not need to be boiled in order to break down the sugars in those malts - then the obvious benefit is that more of the hop acids will be isomerized if any LME or DME is added at flameout. Why is this reason rarely given?

I feel like I see the hop utilization reasoning for late extract addition at least as often as the caramelization reason.

I do see a lot of people asking why their beers are coming out darker than expected so maybe the caramelization issue is mentioned more to help explain that issue

I really depends on whether you are doing partial or full boils. With full boils the hop utilization effects are minimal but Heat + Amino Acids + Reducing Sugars = Maillard reactions every time....and that means darker color.

I screwed up with my hop additions on a recent partial mash brew, additing double the intended hops at 60 minutes. To reduce bittering I added most of my DME at the start of the boil instead of flame-out. It worked, but the flavor was definately impacted... 'cooked' extract aftertaste.

I screwed up with my hop additions on a recent partial mash brew, additing double the intended hops at 60 minutes. To reduce bittering I added most of my DME at the start of the boil instead of flame-out. It worked, but the flavor was definately impacted... 'cooked' extract aftertaste.

If you add hops in a bag then even if you make a mistake and add too many hops you might be able to repair the mistake by removing the bag.

Just like anything else I can only speak for myself, but my extract brew became noticeably better with late additions. Don't chop your boil time especially w hoppier brews. You will not achieve the hop utilization you require. You will make good favorful beer but will lack the bitter backbone an IPA or such requires.

I hope this isn't thread drift, but follow up, related, question....

I'm going to try Centennial Blonde as a partial mash soon. I do 1 gallon, so it's easy to do full boil. If I understand the info in this thread, can I do a 60 minute boil of the mashed wort plus additional water (in other words, fairly diluted wort from initial mashing) with the *normal* amount of hops (as per the AG recipe, scaled to 1 gallon) and would I get the same IBU's? Then, second question, if I do a late extract addition of the Golden Light DME, when is the optimal time to add the extract? I would assume with 10 minutes left in the boil, since, IIRC, it needs to be above 160F for 10 minutes to sterilize and, with 1 gallon, I can cool to 80F in 15 minutes or less in an ice bath. Alternatively, I could take it off the heat at the end of the boil, add the DME, and hope the temperatures stay above 160F for 10 minutes prior to cooling in the ice bath.

Thanks.

As I currently understand it,pasteurization happens in about 30 minutes @ 142F & seconds at 160F. I add my extract at flame out while it's still boiling hot & cover it to steep while I get the ice bath ready. Works fine for me since I started.

I hope this isn't thread drift, but follow up, related, question....

I'm going to try Centennial Blonde as a partial mash soon. I do 1 gallon, so it's easy to do full boil. If I understand the info in this thread, can I do a 60 minute boil of the mashed wort plus additional water (in other words, fairly diluted wort from initial mashing) with the *normal* amount of hops (as per the AG recipe, scaled to 1 gallon) and would I get the same IBU's? Then, second question, if I do a late extract addition of the Golden Light DME, when is the optimal time to add the extract? I would assume with 10 minutes left in the boil, since, IIRC, it needs to be above 160F for 10 minutes to sterilize and, with 1 gallon, I can cool to 80F in 15 minutes or less in an ice bath. Alternatively, I could take it off the heat at the end of the boil, add the DME, and hope the temperatures stay above 160F for 10 minutes prior to cooling in the ice bath.

Thanks.

If I understand your question, then yes you can certainly do that. I'd add the extract at flame out- it's certainly hot enough to pasteurize if you add it then.

I make cheese, and milk is pasteurized at 160 degrees for 30 seconds, so adding extract at 212 degrees is more than hot enough even if you start chilling quickly.

Thanks for the replies. I wound up adding it with 5 mins left in the boil to be safe. Everything seemed to work fine aside from realizing I had accidentally ordered LME (holy smokes that stuff is sticky!). The brew seemed a bit too bitter going into the fermenter, but, as a relative noob, I don't really have perspective on this yet.

Back