really big gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
So i brewed a honey ale with my buddy this weekend. I don't have the exact recipe but it was an extract and probably 6lbs liquid extract, 1lb dry extract and then 1.5 lbs of honey.....The OG reading was 1.19. The big beers i've brewed are generally 1.075 or 1.080. Is the honey causing this really big reading?

It was a 3 gallon boil with top off. I normally do full boils but this was a recipe my buddy wanted to do.

It was a 3 gallon boil with top off. I normally do full boils but this was a recipe my buddy wanted to do.

You got a really crappy mix of top off water and wort. Just the extract would give you a gravity of 1.063. There is no way the honey added another 50 gravity points unless you made a mead;)

What happened was that you didn't mix the top off water in well enough before you took a reading. The dense wort and the thin water do not mix well.

I use a very stout whisk to stir mine before doing a reading. This mixes it and aerates the wort just before pitching.

Back