Question on FG on the Northern Brewer Rebe Rye Porter Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingBull

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I brewed this for the first time 4 weeks ago

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/RebelRyePorter.pdf

I brewed 10 gallons (2 kits) and split them between carboys.

My og was 1053 (I thought that was a bit low), og is supposed to be between 1062 and 1064. Today after 4 weeks I transferred them both to secondary and took a reading, and the FG was 1020 on both (supposed to be around 1016 according to BeerTools), which i thought was interesting that both carboys were the same.

I did use dry yeast S-04 (1 pack in each), and it fermented like mad for the first four or so days.

I did taste it and it tastes really good, not too sweet like it's under attenuated. I guess my questions are: I plan to let it go for another 2 weeks in secondary, do you think the FG will decrease or is it done fermenting? Next question is (I know this is a pretty general question without knowing the brew session details) but what may have caused such a low starting and high finishing gravity (relatively speaking)? Anything I can do to assist it? (I think not)

Thanks!

DancingBull said:
Hi folks,

I brewed this for the first time 4 weeks ago

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/RebelRyePorter.pdf

I brewed 10 gallons (2 kits) and split them between carboys.

My og was 1053 (I thought that was a bit low), og is supposed to be between 1062 and 1064. Today after 4 weeks I transferred them both to secondary and took a reading, and the FG was 1020 on both (supposed to be around 1016 according to BeerTools), which i thought was interesting that both carboys were the same.

I did use dry yeast S-04 (1 pack in each), and it fermented like mad for the first four or so days.

I did taste it and it tastes really good, not too sweet like it's under attenuated. I guess my questions are: I plan to let it go for another 2 weeks in secondary, do you think the FG will decrease or is it done fermenting? Next question is (I know this is a pretty general question without knowing the brew session details) but what may have caused such a low starting and high finishing gravity (relatively speaking)? Anything I can do to assist it? (I think not)

Thanks!

As an all extract kit the low OG is just a poor read due to the inability to really get a great mix of top off water and wort(assuming partial boil) as well as vigorous boil to properly condense the wort.

An FG at 1.020 is also a common occurrence with extracts. It is difficult to determine the amount of less fermentable malt in the extract. Yooper has a thread I believe regarding the "dreaded 1.020". If the readings are stable then the beer is done.

You can try to gently agitate the vessel to rouse the yeast and raise the temp a bit to see if it will squeak some points out but don't expect it IME:)

Also, unless you are dry hopping or something there really is no need to secondary, give the beer another week and if there is no change in gravity, package it. The beer will clear nicely in primary!

Back