Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joehova44

Reaction score
Will it hurt a brew to pitch at 85 degrees and then have the temp come down to 70 within 24hours.... The issue was a broken wort chiller, Summer temps and no ice for an ice bath.

High pitch temps can cause many off flavors. But getting the temp down over 24 hours may cause some settling. So you might have to swirl the yeast back into suspension. It's better to start low & let it come up to optimum temp so far as the yeast are concerned.

I would rather pitch low and come up. The problem is that when you start out high, the yeast will become very active, and will actually keep the temperature high until the majority of the fermentables are ate up. By then, lowering the temp will do little good, since the off-flavors are already created.

Pitching lower will keep the ferment at a slower pace, and reducing the temperature rise caused by the yeast metabolism, and helping to keep the fermentation temperature lower.

Honestly, I'd find a way to cool it down in a couple of hours and then pitch. Even placing the fermenter in a bathtub or sink with cool tap water might do it.

Will it hurt a brew to pitch at 85 degrees and then have the temp come down to 70 within 24hours.... The issue was a broken wort chiller, Summer temps and no ice for an ice bath.

they don't sell ice in Fairfax???

wow, that sux.

Brewing in the summer is no picnic here, either. I built a pre-chiller and run thru a bag of ice after the groundwater does what it can --

but seriously, get your wort chiller fixed/replaced !

It was 4 am and I'm in a new house and the tap water wasn't doing the trick.... I wasn't thinking clear and pitched the yeast early.... Hopfully it won't hurt the beer much since the temp lowered over night

As was alluded to earlier,I found out the hard way that the size/strength of a starter will govern temps about as much as actual temps in the fermenter. That's harder to deal with in this heat.

Back