Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Prioritizing Equiptment Purchases

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
birvine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfrey14 View Post
Not sure if im ready to jump into all grain brews. I've been reading some books and although im not an idiot, im not a chemistry master.

DOES NOT TAKE THAT, BUT I WOULD AGREE TO WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE THE PROCESS DOWN TO A 'T'.

I like to do things right and I think I need to research some more before jumping into the all grain brews. As for the bottles, I've already gone through the pains of stripping labels (I cannot bring myself to purchse empty bottles) Unfortunately, I live in a apartment and the option to have a kegerator just is not there.
I HAVE A KEGERATOR AND ALSO BOTTLE. YOU CAN HAVE GREAT AND PORTABLE BEER WITH BOTTLES. KEGERATORS ARE NICE-HAVES, NOT MUST-HAVES.
I've glanced over some of the "breweries" in the DIY threads and I only dream of having something like that. The turkey fryer is a good idea that I hadnt thought of.
THE FRYER CAN BE USED TO DO A FULL BOIL OF AN EXTRACT BATCH, TOO. MAKES THE BEER BETTER, PLUS IS ONE MORE TINY STEP TO ALL GRAIN.
When Im ready for all grain I do have a 10 gallon sports cooler that I've seen people convert.....im sure i can save a good deal of money by going this route.
Good luck and enjoy!

Brent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Kettle for full boil (extract of all grain you should have this) + Turkey fryer.
Immersion chiller
Fermentation chamber (google son of fermentation) It;s cheap to build and works pretty good.
Then I would go with O2 injection system. I know some people will disagree but this was a great addition to my setup and you can get one for around $35.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
coryfrey14
Recipes 

Thanks a lot everyone I've already discovered that this site is more valuable than any equipment I could buy.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfrey14 View Post
I am painfully trying to put together a brewing system that can both make good brew and make the process easier. Right now I've only done two batches (23L batch and 5 gallon batch) both extract brews. I currently own a 23L Coopers Fermentor and the equipment that comes with. I am trying to compose a list of essentials to expand my inventory. I live in central PA so dues to the up and down temperatures I wanted to develope a temperature control system to ease my mind on the long weeks of ferementation. I've discovered the brewing temperature controllers and i think this is one of the next things i will purchase as I have a college mini fridge and a space heater than would work wonders if put into an insulated chest. I would also like to purchase 2 5 gallon bucket fermenters to use as primaries and use my coopers fermenter as a secondary as i believe after filtering both 5 gallon fermented batches could fit into. Also i would love to purchase a approx. 7 gallon SS brew pot (which seems to be the most expensive thing on my list here). I wanted to post my plans on here because in the starting of this hobby these forums have been golden for advise and ideas. I'd love to hear feedback and ideas on getting my hobby from the tinkering around period to actually producing good beer time and time again.

Thanks...
Regarding your brewpot, i picked up a 40qt pot from the restaurant supply store for $40. Not only was it cheap for what i was getting, i know it will last forever because it was designed for a commercial application. My first phone call, if i were you, would be to a restaurant supply store inquiring about said stock pot.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Agree with Zixxer on the 40 qt pot. If you do full boils, a 30 quart pot will boil over easily, a 40 qt gives you more head room.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1952 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 1445

Also,your buckets need to be some 6.5 gallons to have head space to brew 5G. 7.9 gallons or so if you wanna do 6G batches. And my Cooper's micro brew fermenter def will not hold 2 five gallon batches. It's designed for 6.5 gallon max,& still have some head space. I like my SS stock pot at 5G. It's good enough up to partial mash.

Quick Reply