Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
When i bottled my first batch of beer, new castle clone, i added 5 ounces of priming sugar, now when i drink it i feel like it is overly carbonated. is that normal in homebrews or should i be adding less? 5 gallon batch

thanks, i am just about to bottle my second batch, so i thought i should ask. its another new castle clone, but done mutch better i believe, aged longer in primary, and put into a secondary when the first batch wasnt. i need about 8 more bottles, working on that right now :tank:

I always used 4 ounces per five gallons, and even less for lower carbed beer styles. There are priming calculators that help with this. I use the one in Beersmith.

I agree with Yoop on this, as on most things.

I suspect most kits come with 5oz packages of dextrose because that is the maximum one would normally find in a kit. Rather than package all the possibilities they give you all 5. You can get a cheap scale off fleaBay that will help with measureing small amounts like 3.2 oz.

Hey Srm277,
I see you are trying the same style twice. That is what I'm doing as well. If you don't mind, please post your original procedure and in the same post show what you did differenly for the second batch. It will give us that are trying to understand how to upgrade their kits (or recipes) what can be done differently to produce a more sophisticated beer (i think). see the post about Kraft Mac n' cheese (that's what i relate to producing kit beers). good luck and at least let me know what you did differently and the outcome. thanks

Mortimer

the recipe i used calls for

2oz british crystal malt
2oz british chocolate malt
1oz british black malt

i used 3oz chocolate and 2 oz crushed crystal

5.75 light dme
4/5 oz target hops

then 1/2 oz kent goldings

now i just used a full oz of kent goldings hops then 1/2 for near end, and also 6.6 light light dme for both recipes. i added more malts the 2nd time, i dont have a scale and eyed it, then eyed it better the second time.
2nd time i had a better boil going and used liquid yeast, first time was dry yeast.
first time only primary for bout 2 weeks, 2nd time primary for a long time then in secondary for really long time and im just about to bottle it.
so now comes to the priming sugar, it has a 5 oz pack, but ill take out a spoonfull and save it for later and use that.

by the way i dont use kits and buy everything seperatly. idk if its better or not, but i can make the stuff last longer and change it more. i almost went to all grains right away but throught better of it. hope that helps

If you bottle too early you will have over carbonated beer because the yeast has not finished eating all the sugar. You are then adding carbonating sugar to that and that equals too much sugar in the capped bottle.

Solution:
Ferment all beer for at least 14 days and take a hydro reading. If it is within 2 points of the FG for 2 days you can then bottle, but some strong beers take 3 weeks to reach their FG and you just have to wait before it is done.

Back