Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noldar said:
How much water do you use to boil the priming sugar? Is it terribly important?

Just to clarify: its important to boil the sugar in water, the amount of water is not that important, around about a pint is average (2 cups). boil for 5-10 minutes, cool a bit in a mini-water bath, then pour into bottling bucket and siphon beer on top. I dont stir because the action of siphoning stirs the sugar in good enough for me. Some do stir. If you stir, do it very gently as to not agitate the beer and cause oxygen to get in there which will oxidize later...

Noldar said:
How much water do you use to boil the priming sugar? Is it terribly important?

No not really. About two cups. As others have said you need to boil it for a bit. Not sure how you bottle or if it will be the next question. I put this cooled mixture in the bottling bucket and siphon the beer onto it. That way I dont need to stir it and risk oxidation. The siphon action mixes it very well.

I'm a stirrer.:)

Only because I measure out my priming sugar AFTER I rack to my bottling bucket.

My bucket has measurements on the side that tell me how much beer I will be bottling.

If I keg some beer and bottle the rest I have to make sure I am not under- or over-priming the remaining beer.

Should I only bottle 2.5 gals then I want to make sure I am using the right amount of priming sugar. By not going over my beer will not get over-carbonated. By not using too little, my beer will not be undercarbonated.

In the end it's personal choice.:D

Sounds like a cool gradiant on the bucket:) The answer to the big question many have. Shouldn't matter. Just have to make sure that the beer don't splash around right? Do you also stir in the middle of the bottling/kegging? Some people do that I know.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm a stirrer.:)

Only because I measure out my priming sugar AFTER I rack to my bottling bucket.

My bucket has measurements on the side that tell me how much beer I will be bottling.

If I keg some beer and bottle the rest I have to make sure I am not under- or over-priming the remaining beer.

Should I only bottle 2.5 gals then I want to make sure I am using the right amount of priming sugar. By not going over my beer will not get over-carbonated. By not using too little, my beer will not be undercarbonated.

In the end it's personal choice.:D

How do you measure it btw?

Ive been experimenting with the amount of sugar to prime with recently. My last batch, which is an APA, i dissolved (pre-measured) 3/4 c. of priming sugar into enough water to make 2 cups. After making sure it was nice and dissolved, i then removed an 1/8cup, then primed as usuall. Tonite im going to bottle a bitter so i think ill remove 1/4 cup. (the apa btw is taking longer to carbonate then usuall so i guess my system is working, its carbonated, just slightly under than what im used to)

Bjorn Borg said:
If you stir, do it very gently as to not agitate the beer and cause oxygen to get in there which will oxidize later...

Can you elaborate on this a little? What do you mean by "oxidize later?"

Thanks

Tommy

Brewno said:
Can you elaborate on this a little? What do you mean by "oxidize later?"

Thanks

Tommy

Inicially when you add the yeast in the wort you want to get a lot of oxygen in there because the yeast need it. After that point you don't want to add oxygen to the beer. If you had happened to add an excess amount (and I realy dont know at what point would be excess or how you would know prior to tasting it and finding out the hard way), the beer will get an off taste something like cardboard. I've never had this happen to mine, but from how people have described it... yuck.....:eek:

Noldar said:
What happens if you don't boil it for 5 - 10minutes and bottle?

I think the boiling primarily has to do with disolving the sugar and sanitizing the water your putting into your brew.

Tommy

Brewno said:
I think the boiling primarily has to do with disolving the sugar and sanitizing the water your putting into your brew.

Tommy

I mistakenly boiled for ~ a minute. Will this result in a range of carbonation in my bottles?

Noldar said:
I mistakenly boiled for ~ a minute. Will this result in a range of carbonation in my bottles?

I wouldn't worry about it. A few times I forgot all together and it still came out fine. You boil the water for sanitation here like people say to boil tap water when you brew. Do you know many who boil the water the night before, siphon it and cool it for brewing the next day.... I'm not sure... I can't say I know many who does this. I know more people who use the water straight from the tap. You want to make sure everything is dissolved though and boiling it for a certain amount of time will certainly make sure of this.

Beer Snob said:
I wouldn't worry about it. A few times I forgot all together and it still came out fine. You boil the water for sanitation here like people say to boil tap water when you brew. Do you know many who boil the water the night before, siphon it and cool it for brewing the next day.... I'm not sure... I can't say I know many who does this. I know more people who use the water straight from the tap. You want to make sure everything is dissolved though and boiling it for a certain amount of time will certainly make sure of this.
Yes, boiling the water can provide for better sanitation, 'tis true, but many folks don't boil it for long enough to actually reach that point. The reason I boil it has to do with simple chemistry...it's easier to dissolve the priming sugar into the boiling solution than in a cold one.

Back