Priming and bottling today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
I am going to bottle my pale ale today, and I don't have a full 5 gallons in my carboy-more like 4 1/4 gallons. Should I use a little less sugar to prime? If I use the recommended 1/2 cup, with it make the beer fizzier because there is less than 5 gallons?

I am going to bottle my pale ale today, and I don't have a full 5 gallons in my carboy-more like 4 1/4 gallons. Should I use a little less sugar to prime? If I use the recommended 1/2 cup, with it make the beer fizzier because there is less than 5 gallons?

I don't use cups measurements, but I think it's more like 3/4 cup to prime 5 gallons. I use ounces, and use about 4 ounces for 5 gallons.

In your case, I'd definitely decrease the amount of priming sugar. I'm terrible at math, though, and will leave you to work it all out. :D

Yeah, I am going to go all mathematical on this. Thanks for the "ounces vs. cups" tip

I had the same problem with my last batch, I just used the recommended amount for five gallons. I had no problems at all.

EDIT: I think that the only time you need to be REALLY precise is when you are working with 2 gallons or less.

I never even thought of this with batch#1. I used the full bag (it was a kit) with 4.5 gallons. I doubt I made bottle bombs but the beer will probably be fizzier than I intended. I'll be doing the math with batch#2.

What are your opinions on ambient temp. for my secondary? I could keep it at 55-ish or 65-ish. I'm leaning toward 55, although it may get as cool as 50.

Disregard my last post to this thread. I've had two Harpoon Leviathan IPA's, and I meant to post that question in a new thread, which I have just done.:drunk:

+2 on add priming sugar by weight, not volume. My first two 5.5 gallon batches I used 3/4 cup (measured like flour and leveled off) and they were both undercarbed. When I weighed out 5.5 ounces it was actually more like 9/10 of a cup the way I was measuring.

If you absolutely must do 3/4 cup by volume, pack it in there well, like you'd measure brown sugar.

Latest posts

Back