Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary vs Conditioning. What to do under time constraint?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
pkpdogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary vs Conditioning. What to do under time constraint?

Hi all. I've been reading off and on for months and am posting for the first time. Thanks for keeping this place alive, it has been really helpful for prepping me for getting into this hobby.

So I brewed by first batch ever a couple days ago (Cali Common kit from MoreBeer!) and would really like to serve it during Thanksgiving. That gives me 5 weeks, which isn't enough time for the 1-2-3 technique.

What I'm wondering is, if I really have to do this in 5 weeks, what do you suggest for the fermentation and conditioning schedule? 3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks conditioning in the bottles? or 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks conditioning in the bottles? or something else?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd suggest buying some nice commercial/craft beer to serve in it's place....I'd rather not serve green beer to my friends and family (especially if you used 810 and fermented it in the high 60s low 70s).

Figuring that flat green beer is prb worse to serve than carbonated green beer, I'd go for three in the bottle.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You can bottle as soon as fermentation is complete. The draw back is more sediment will be in the bottles. It's very possible you will have very good beer with in only five weeks. I've yet to not have fully carbonated bottles at one week. I think long primary and secondaries can actually increase the needed bottle conditioning time.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I think California Common needs more than 5 weeks, generally. I ferment mine around 62 degrees, and that takes about 10 days. It takes a while to clear up, too. Also, I find that northern brewer hops take a little while to mellow. They are great- but harsh when young.

If you absolutely have to have it by Thanksgiving, leave it in the primary for 2 weeks, and then bottle it (assuming the beer is at FG).

Quicker beers generally have low OGs, smoother hops, etc, so they can more easily be rushed. Anything with a higher OG, harsher (or more) hops, etc, needs more time to really taste ok. Still, this just might work for you.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
I'd suggest buying some nice commercial/craft beer to serve in it's place....I'd rather not serve green beer to my friends and family (especially if you used 810 and fermented it in the high 60s low 70s).

Figuring that flat green beer is prb worse to serve than carbonated green beer, I'd go for three in the bottle.

I have to say I agree with this...unless you invest in a keg set up, then serving un ready, undercarbed and possibly green beer with end up reflecting badly on homebrewing and you....people sit on the fance with beer...most people only know BMC...so they are already reticent to try something that isn't fizzy, and the color of pee...if you serve something that's not right they are going to remember all the mind control commercial that budweiser did trashing craft beers, and remind them never to try new things...

You really can't cut back on bottle conditioning...you really need 3 weeks minimum for a normal grav beer for it to carb and condition, and some just won't carb and condition for 6 or 8 weeks..and there's nothing you can do about it....except keg it....otherwise you are dealing with a natural process based on living microorganisms, which have their own agendas and timeframes.

You need your 3 weeks @ 70 degrees minimum for bottle carbing/condition...and if you were serving them for a special occasion you should THEN chill them for a week so chill haze goes away...so that's 4 weeks of your 5 (IF the beer were carbed/conditioned after the 3)...and there's no gaurentee that the beer would be finished fermenting in 7-10 days

I know you are excited about serving your homebrew for turkey day...but if you serve it for Christmas, it will be much much better.
Especially if you brewed more beer before then, and bring a variety.

You'll only need to deal with this once..this year. now that you have embarked on this obsession, once your pipeline is full, you'll have plenty of beer to bring to holidays...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
pkpdogg
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that it being my first batch would give me an "out" if it turned out bad. In hindsight, that attitude may keep people from trying a second batch. Based on your feedback, I think I'll do this:

1) Check FG at ~2 weeks and bottle if at target FG. Otherwise, wait until target FG is achieved.
2) Get a backup case or two of Anchor Steam. Worst case is they end up being extra bottles for future batches.
3) Taste test a bottle the day before Thanksgiving.

3a) If good, serve in a glass to reduce amount of sediment.
3b) If bad, maybe give them a taster of what will only get better with time, and serve the Anchor Steam.
Thanks again!
Mike

Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpdogg View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that it being my first batch would give me an "out" if it turned out bad. In hindsight, that attitude may keep people from trying a second batch. Based on your feedback, I think I'll do this:

1) Check FG at ~2 weeks and bottle if at target FG. Otherwise, wait until target FG is achieved.
2) Get a backup case or two of Anchor Steam. Worst case is they end up being extra bottles for future batches.
3b) If bad, maybe give them a taster of what will only get better with time, and serve the Anchor Steam.
Thanks again!
Mike

That's about the best you can do....We get this alot with new brewers they decide a few weeks before an event/holiday to get into the hobby, then want to serve their first batch for the event. It's natural to be excited and want to share. But there's nothing that can be done about the timeframe...every beer is different, every yeast is different, and every brewing condition is different, so you can't say "hey this beer's going to be ready on such and such date, unless you are aming for 2-3 months out and leaving plenty of time...or kegging.

Oh and ALL good beer, homebrew and otherwise MUST be served in a glass at all times....This isn't ice cold and flavorless BMC we're talking about here...the glass and servig temp is very important for getting the best flavors/aromas from the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Here you go...
Get a couple cases of good micro.
Soak the labels off and put yours on it.
GENIUS!!!!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are dealing with NATURAL processes that cannot be changed.

Plan better next time.

The bonus is it'll be ready for Christmas.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpdogg View Post

Thanks again!
Mike

Now, that's the attitude, right there. RDWHAHB.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply