Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pre-bottling taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Andromedus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I guess I'm an outlier then. I don't package anything that doesn't taste like flat beer. Some of the flavors will be muted without carbonation and chilling, but it should be the same basic profile. If you were going for a strong banana flavor, you should expect to taste and smell some of that pre-carb.

Ester production in a hefe is quite temperature sensitive. What temp was this fermented at?
First four hours it was about 70 ambient, then it was 62 degrees ambient for the next eight, probably warmer in the wort since it was VERY active. I then submerged both carboys in ice baths for about four days, and monitored the ice bath temp at anywhere from 60-65, aiming for 62. After that I set at 65 in a chest fridge for the remainder (up to day 10), after which it has set at 72 ambient. I plan to bottle on Friday (day 13).

I kept the temps low to mute the banana and tend more towards a balance of banana/clove, and went both WLP300 in one batch and WYeast3068 in the other. It could be that the esters are there but I'm not honed enough to taste them on a flat, warm batch. One thing I noted was that it was VERY drinkable, so although I didn't detect much great flavor, there was no off flavor either. Not sure exactly what that means.

In any case, I didn't detect clove, banana, or off flavors, so....mystery?

Edit: It's worth noting that for the first four days, my entire house REEKED of banana. It was very intense, and I could smell the banana in the bubbles if I put my nose to the carboy at gas release.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 17

When its chilled and carbonated it will likely taste much different.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromedus View Post
First four hours it was about 70 ambient, then it was 62 degrees ambient for the next eight, probably warmer in the wort since it was VERY active. I then submerged both carboys in ice baths for about four days, and monitored the ice bath temp at anywhere from 60-65, aiming for 62. After that I set at 65 in a chest fridge for the remainder (up to day 10), after which it has set at 72 ambient. I plan to bottle on Friday (day 13).

I kept the temps low to mute the banana and tend more towards a balance of banana/clove, and went both WLP300 in one batch and WYeast3068 in the other. It could be that the esters are there but I'm not honed enough to taste them on a flat, warm batch. One thing I noted was that it was VERY drinkable, so although I didn't detect much great flavor, there was no off flavor either. Not sure exactly what that means.

In any case, I didn't detect clove, banana, or off flavors, so....mystery?

Edit: It's worth noting that for the first four days, my entire house REEKED of banana. It was very intense, and I could smell the banana in the bubbles if I put my nose to the carboy at gas release.
Mmm hmmm...it's difficult (and perhaps foolish) to try to judge whether or not you'll be happy with the final outcome by sniffing the airlock. For instance, my first Saison smelled awful for the first two days. I was convinced it had a nasty infection. That smell gradually subsided, but was still detectable a week after bottling. Three weeks after bottling, totally different beer...and a great beer.
I've got another saison going now, and it smelled really good for the first couple days. By day ten, it had a strong burning rubber smell to it.

Unless it's gone moldy or something, I will never dump a batch early. It's always worth seeing what time will do.

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You could pour a sample into a glass with ice cubes to taste it cold. Might also help to have a bud lite on hand to cleanse your palate with/help you identify any subtle flavors in your hefe.

RDWHAPBR

Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I have found that as you become a more experienced brewer and develop a better beer palette you will be able to pick more characteristics from your warm,flat,unconditioned beer and begin to get a feel for what the final product will be. Especially if you take taste notes, you will then be able to track how the beer came together.

Definitely you will be able to notice a problem prior to investing in the time packaging and then determine what needs to be done,if anything.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply