Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #241
paraordnance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Microbiology is fascinating at times, looking at these pictures. I monitor my first ever brew in secondary (now) every 6 hours looking out for a similar stuff, but so far so good, soon or later I most likely will contribute to this thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #242
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think i have my first infection, does anyone know what this is, and what the cause could of been

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9635/cimg0818.jpg

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1784/cimg0819.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8285/cimg0820.jpg

Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #243
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Yep, looks like a case of "The 'ol Fuzzybuckets" to me! How does it taste?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #244
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i havnt tasted it yet, just trying to find out whats wrong with it, what happens when the beer gets infected? is it still drinkable?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #245
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefingers23 View Post
i havnt tasted it yet, just trying to find out whats wrong with it, what happens when the beer gets infected? is it still drinkable?
It can still be very drinkable, although some infections take the beer south pretty quickly so you'll want to drink it fast.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #246
r_flagg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I added some oak chips to a batch of dry stout I made recently. This was the result!

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/IMG_3288.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/IMG_3289.jpg

I've got a few questions now for you lads and would appreciate any help you all can give.

Is this lactobacillus? If so, what the hell should I do with it? Can I rack underneath this and still use it, or should I strain it off the top first? How sour will this make my stout if I rack it quick-like? Any equipment used to touch this should only be used for beers using lacto in the future right? Thanks for your help guys!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #247
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_flagg View Post
I've got a few questions now for you lads and would appreciate any help you all can give.

Is this lactobacillus? If so, what the hell should I do with it? Can I rack underneath this and still use it, or should I strain it off the top first? How sour will this make my stout if I rack it quick-like? Any equipment used to touch this should only be used for beers using lacto in the future right? Thanks for your help guys!
Looks like lacto to me, but I'm no expert. Taste it first and if you like it I'd rack from underneath the infection and keg/bottle and drink fairly quickly. Technically you can re-use whatever equipment you want from this batch but you'll want to ensure that it's been cleaned sufficiently, if it's plastic then it's probably cheap to replace and that's the route I'd take.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #248
r_flagg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sweet thanks for the help! I'll probably just mark the equip for lacto use only and replace what I need to. Can anyone else confirm that this is lactobacillus? I'll give er a taste when I get home and bottle it asap. I'll be givin er a try one way or the other.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #249
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is three days after pitching some Orval dregs that I had growing.

I think that the green stuff is sledge from the leaf hops that I was using. And the white is the Brett.

Does that sound right?

It smells very Orval.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a51...t=PICT1907.jpg

Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #250
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That all looks like krausen from a very vigorous fermentation to me. The white stuff looks to be just foam. Yiou'll know brett when you see it. It shows up months after fermentation has winded down and it'll form a thin white smooth layer across your entire carboy. There's no mistaking it for krausen.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply