Pitching Wyeast 2565

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 199714

Reaction score
Hello all - new member, first post.

I'm pitching a Wyeast Kolsch 2565 for the first time. I plan to use a blow-off. The Wyeast website says it requires either filtration or a longer conditioning period. I want to avoid the filtration and while I'm not looking for a 100% clear beer, I want to avoid excess cloudiness. I use a secondary for about 14 days - can this be extended without a problem? How long?

Second question - I'm doing a 5 gallon batch, has anyone found that there wasn't enough yeast left for priming/carbonation?

Thanks!

Wyeast 2565 is a great yeast. I typicay let it ferment all the way out to FG and then go straight to bottling. There is no reason why you could not or should not extend time in the secondary for this yeast to clear.
In my experience, a week or two at 40 degrees is all this yeast needs to clear. Give it another week after that and you'll have a great beer. I have made several very good kolsch beers with this yeast and all were sparkling clear after 4 weeks conditioning.

Also if you pour in a glass from bottles, after refrigeration just leave the last bit in the bottle and pour slow and you wont have any cloudy issues.

Back