Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Permanently marking glass carboy for each gallon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
Tripod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Permanently marking glass carboy for each gallon?

Greetings All!

I am trying to find a way to mark lines for each gallon on my 6.5 gallon glass carboy but everything seems to quickly wash off of glass. I tried a regular sharpie the first time and it washed right off after I cleaned the carboy. I did a search on HBT and found a thread about using an acid-wash to etch the glass. A little wary of that but a lot of brewers seem to like it.

Has anyone found a successful way to mark glass that will stand the test of time? I'd love to hear what you have done to solve this!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

How about nail polish?

-a.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Probably one of the best ideas on this entire site. I don't know why you're wary of it...A lot of brew clubs etch glassware to give away at tastings, same with weddings, I have several pieces from both those things. And I've done some artsy crafty glass etching with armor etch in the past. It's safe if you follow the directions. Armour etch has been around forever.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mark...-carboy-63174/

If you want the best way to do it, then that's the one....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
lmg95
Recipes 

i used a strip of tape and marked a line at the bottom of the tape (you'd have to remember that though when it does wash off!)

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: DFH 60-min IPA & "Chinook" Blonde Ale
Keg #1:Blue Balls Wit
Kegs #2,3,4: empty :(
Planned: Centennial Blonde

Old 12-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 for what Revvy said. "Armour Etch" is pretty cheap and lasts forever. Just make sure you mark at the correct level. Also if you have a simple logo you can have fun with it and etch some glasses.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Probably one of the best ideas on this entire site. I don't know why you're wary of it...A lot of brew clubs etch glassware to give away at tastings, same with weddings, I have several pieces from both those things. And I've done some artsy crafty glass etching with armor etch in the past. It's safe if you follow the directions. Armour etch has been around forever.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mark...-carboy-63174/

If you want the best way to do it, then that's the one....
Thanks, Revvy.

That is exactly the thread I looked at. I think my instict made me feel like I would be compromising the glass but after a little thought, I realized that I wouldn't be etching deep enough for problems. My head went straight to the type of etching where you actually cut the glass with a wheel or dremel...but this stuff is different. Is it acid?

Maybe I just needed to hear it from people who actually like it.

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

+1 on etching the glass, I just need to find some place around here that sells that stuff. I'm sure it's out there, I just hate shopping, and even more now.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If etching really doesn't appeal to you, white-out correction fluid or nail polish stand up reasonably well (and they can be removed with some elbow grease if you want).

Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sharpie.
Covered with a strip of packing tape.

simple
almost martha stewart simple.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
+1 on etching the glass, I just need to find some place around here that sells that stuff. I'm sure it's out there, I just hate shopping, and even more now.
Any chain art/crafts supply store stocks it, it ain't no big deal. Michael's, Hobby Lobby, some of the larger Jo Anne's Fabrics (the one's with a well stocked art supply section.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply