Partial Mashing: What size cooler's best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hey Crew,

I'm moving along from all extract to partial mashes (PMs). Not going all grain yet (no space/money), but PMs seem a great step for more control.

I've heard that a 2-gallon Rubbermaid or Coleman cooler with a spigot is fine for 5-gallon PMs, but if I do a fair amount of larger beers (7-12% ABV), which would presumably use extra pounds of grain, would I be better with a 3-gallon with a spigot?

Pluses or minuses? Also, if I got the 3-gal, would I still be able to do smaller beers (3-5% ABV), or would the grain bed be too thin if spread out in the 3-gallon cooler?

Thanks a lot,
Nige

I've done partial mashes right on the stovetop with stainless and aluminum pots and had good success (75%+). I think if you're going to go through the trouble of building a mash tun, you might as well go for one that will allow AG bills.

Well, I won't be going AG anytime soon. I've heard of the stovetop method, but I understand that coolers help keep the temps solid much better. That said, I'm sure the stovetop method works fine; just requires more temp checking, right?

Hey, what's the "marshmallow" in your choc/marshmallow porter? I've always wondered why more people don't make things like that. It's totally up my alley. Do tell, please.

When I've done stovetop partial's and stovetop all-grain's, I've checked the temps every 15 minutes during the mash. The biggest temperature drop I have gotten was 6 degrees over an hour, quite happy with the results.

My 'Coconut Marshmallow Porter' is based on Maui Brewing's version, but I added a little fresh vanilla bean and cocoa nibs to the secondary along with the toasted coconut. It'll be bottled/kegged next week! I'll keep you posted on the results. It smells life-changingly good though.

So a cooler's really unnecessary, then.

Holy shoot. That CMP sounds righteous as hell--and probably smells it as well.

Dig the name, by the way. "Dad, it's the treatment." Good on ya.

I'll look more into the stovetop method. Thanks.

If you are concerned about losing temps you could just as easily move the pot to the oven during the mash. The lowest possible setting is probably 170F. Just preheat it and when you put the pot in turn it off and shut the door. Leave it alone for the hour. You shouldn't lose too much temp if any that way.

No extra equipment needed either. Just lower the rack all the way to the bottom and it will fit in perfect.

"Dad, it's the treatment." Good on ya.

Damn, you have a solid memory for quotes!

I will say that I'm quite happy stovetop mashing. I live in an apartment so the space/equipment needed for a mashtun just isn't practical. One day I'll build one, but for now I am happy with my efficiencies.

I got great efficiency with brew-in-a bag technology. I suppose if your temperatures go too far out of whack, your eff will suffer. But if your primary source of fermentables is the extracts you use, then efficiency is no big deal.

BIAB ftw!

Honestly if you like to make bigger beers, and think you might go all grain someday, just get the 5-gallon cooler for partial mashing. Its not going to screw you over if you only mash 3-4 pounds of grain, and you won't have to buy a new cooler (at least not immediately) when you go all grain since 5 gallon cooler can mash 12-13 lbs (just barely).

Honestly if you like to make bigger beers, and think you might go all grain someday, just get the 5-gallon cooler for partial mashing. Its not going to screw you over if you only mash 3-4 pounds of grain, and you won't have to buy a new cooler (at least not immediately) when you go all grain since 5 gallon cooler can mash 12-13 lbs (just barely).

I agree with this 5 gallon cooler. But then I'm the guy who only makes 2.5 gallon batches. I am able to no sparge brew most anything under 1.070 OG. I just made an IPA at 1.075 OG, so I had to sparge.
For an partial-mash with all-grain potential, you could get the 10 gallon cooler, set it up with a braid and spigot, and then use a piece of foam cut to the inside diameter of the cooler to set on top of the mash. You would cover the foam with plastic wrap. That can hold the heat in. I have seen that down on HBT before.

i got a 26 quart cooler and have done a 16 LB grain bill. It was completely maxed out and i prolly will only do up to 14 LBs anymore. for ~$50 you could buy the cooler braid and fittings. And the cooler is still usuable for other things(i still use mine when going to family parties adn such). take the braid out, leave the valve on.
I just don't see the point of PMs in a 3 gallon cooler. might as well BIAB.

@Ludovico: I've watched that flick at least a million times over the years and have read the book a good few times as well.

Good to hear that you're really happy with stovetop mashing. There seems to be a real divide between those who do that and those who set up mash tuns/coolers like I was considering. I'm going to give stovetopping a shot for my first PM in a couple weeks (making a big Scotch ale) to see how it goes. If I find that I'd like to construct something thereafter, I will.

Cheers.

I should state to all respondents--thanks--that I'm in a smallish one-bedroom condo with no access to a backyard/garage/balcony or any place to set up a banjo burner/turkey fryer. Also, I don't want to monopolize my rather limited closet space with 5-gallon mash tuns and other goodies.

Essentially, I've no interest in--or idea of--going AG in the next couple years, and I'm not willing to do it in my current residence. I've determined that, If I buy a smaller (2g/3g) cooler now (or anytime soon) to convert, it'll serve me plenty well without having a 5- or 7-gallon cooler sitting around. I'll consider a 3-gallon size after attempting stovetop mashing.

I was mainly asking about cooler size because I understand that the grains ought to have a certain thickness to work properly, and I wanted an answer about which size (2g/3g) would be the best for me. Alas, I got a lot of "why bother"s and "just go AG"s, which doesn't quite help me or answer my question. Thanks for the responses, all the same. Cheers.

Back