Palmer's New Book - A Must!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
John Palmer’s How to Brew 2006 Edition arrived at my doorstep a month ahead of schedule a week ago. I have cruised through each section in every day and I have been really impressed.

My first two, and best books I read and reread when I first started brewing is Charlie Papazian’s Joy of Homebrewing and John Palmer’s online book, How to Brew. Charlie, in a worn second edition I got free, gave me basics and inspiration. Unlike many who found the phrase repetitive and trite, I found comfort in his phrase – “Relax, don’t worry, have a Homebrew”.

However, when I wanted to learn the finer techniques of brewing, I clicked my mouse and turned to John Palmer’s online book. It seemed so complete that I resisted spending money on a hardcover version for quite some time. A few weeks ago I decided to break down and go for a hardcover. As I was preparing to order, I found that he had a new version coming out in June and ordered it.

Having purchased Charlie’s new version of Joy of Homebrewing and being disappointed that it was not really much different than the last one, my expectations were not high when I cracked the cover of Palmer’s new edition. Was I in for a surprise! I will emphatically state that if you are a new homebrewer or like me having gotten up to all grain but still a fledgling, this is a must have book.

Palmer’s new edition is fully up to date on the latest techniques, which by the way he points out each to be a new resurgence of and old ideas and procedures. For example, recently I have been scouring the forums for information on First Wort Hopping – FWH. I have gleaned a lot of information and brewed using what I learned. And I figure I learned a lot, but still had questions. John fully covered this subject and the principles behind it. He also covered what type of hops are best for FWH and why. In fact, I learned so much in the Hops section, I considered that was worth the price of the book alone.

John Palmer is no Charlie Papazian. If this book was my first and only, I would have found the subject material complete but so factual I might have laid it down and never started brewing. Charlie gave me basics and inspiration and the excitement of a peek at the possibilities of great beer brewed at home. John gave me the tools and understanding to make better and better beer and I appreciate him for that. Both books are musts in my opinion for the beginner and will carry him or her through to being an accomplished brewer. These two books are the base grains – all others are adjuncts IMHO.

david_42 said:
I hear Palmer has become a batch sparging convert. Any truth to that?

I know i am. My last batch only took about 4 hrs, thanks mostly due to the quick batch sparge. My efficiency was around 75 too which is great considering it only took like 20 minutes...

Is this palmers first non-virtual book? Im definitley going to get it, ive randomly checked out his virtual and it seems really solid, and plus there are no annoying hippie mantras to boot...

I
hear Palmer has become a batch sparging convert. Any truth to that?

Yes, he thoroughly covers batch sparging including calculation and so on. And for those extract brewers, he covers late addition.

This is the third print version, the first printing was 2000. I think he keeps the online version one rev. behind. Makes good business sense.

I picked up the previos version when I got my kit.
I actually prefer this over Papizan's. I actually didn't crack Papazan's book open untill a week or two ago. It's not bad, but it seemed like a lot of the info was a bit outdated.
I also tend to prefer thte more technical explanation. But Palmer doesn't get so technical it's difficult to follow or read.

Palmer's book is definately a good read, good referance.

I just got this today. I haven't read through it at all but I flipped through some pages and I already know that this was WELL worth the cash. Lots of pics, diagrams and info. I can't wait to read it from cover to cover.

One note, Amazon is selling it for 12.97. that is a freaking steal. It is even better than the AHA discount.

FWIW, I e-mailed the AHA and asked if they would beat the price (they were sellign it for 13.95) and I got an e-mail back from them saying it was a good price the way it is. Pfff.. I promptly placed the order with Amazon. remember if you purchase it from Amazon to go through the link on our site, as some of the cash will come back to support homebrewtalk.

Link is at the top of the page--and hopefully TxBrew can create a direct link to the book to make sure the site gets the credit for purchases.

Or, go through this link to purchase it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...none/session/ref=pd_sexpl/002-9785959-7173644

Baron von BeeGee said:
Damn you, temptation! Obviously, I'll need to order a cd or two to get free shipping.

I never do the free shipping anymore cause I'm a prime member. I get one day shipping for 3.99. I'd rather have it now than wait fo that snail mail free shipping service....

Dude said:
I never do the free shipping anymore cause I'm a prime member. I get one day shipping for 3.99. I'd rather have it now than wait fo that snail mail free shipping service....
I did the free trial of Prime and liked it, but I'm not willing to fork our $80/yr for it. Maybe we live near a warehouse or something, but our orders usually come in a week even with free shipping.

i got one coming via snail mail...btw i was looking on barnes and noble and all they had was a used version for 70 bucks? wtf is that about?

The new edition of The Joy of Homebrewing does not seem worth buying as it is so similar to the privious edition. I was wondering if you thought the new Palmer adition is similar to his privious one, or is it worth buying the newer edition?

Back