Oxidation from metal strainer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I was thinking about using a metal mesh strainer for the first time to strain the cooled wort as I dump it into my fermentation bucket. I was told that I shouldn't do that because it could cause some sort of oxidation problem. Is that true?

This is what I do. The strainer is stainless steel, so there should be no oxidation. Even if there were oxidation, I doubt it would be a problem.

12_Straining_Hops.JPG

And I thought if anything - it would maybe just help aerate the wort some more as it was poured through the strainer.

Once the wort is cool the introduction of Oxygen is a good thing as long as it occurs before the yeast has started producing alochol. Aeration is bad when the wort is hot or when there is alcohol present but very good when the wort is cool and yeast is about to be pitched into it.

Don't worry about using a strainer - as long as its sanitized and the wort is cool you're not hurting anything. Yeast love it since it helps them produce the sterols they need for healthy cell walls. If anything you should be trying to get more O2 into your cooled wort right before pitching.

Oh, I get it. I thought you were worried about oxidation of the metal due to contact with the wort. That shouldn't be a problem. Aeration of the (cool) wort as it passes through the strainer on its way to the bucket is a good thing.

Actually I was worried about oxidation of the metal due to contact with the wort based on what my friend told me...but now I'm not. Thanks

Ha, gotcha. I was a little confused why you were pointing out the benefits of aeration and simultaneously worried about oxidation. Brew on.

This method works very well for me too! Alot less trub to clean when i rack my beer out of the primary. I drop my strainer into the ale pail fill of sanitizer to make sure it is nice and clean.

Latest posts

Back