Overshooting OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruskali

Reaction score
Hey all been a lurker for a while - noob warning - just did my third batch (haven't even drank one of my brews yet?!) - and have had a similar problem the first and third batches.

I've jumped straight into all grain - this place made it sound like way too much fun not too! This forum has been an unbelievable resource as well - so thanks to all!!! :rockin:

My equipment is as follows:

Coleman 40 quart Mash Tun. (copper manifold)
10Gal Brew Kettle
Immersion Wort chiller
+all the usual stuff
Using Beersmith for most calc's

The first batch was a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone... was targeting an OG of 1.054 - but it ended up at 1.061... (hydro readings are done at ~70deg f) On this one, I assumed 75% efficiency.

The second, which I'll post details on below was a Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone. OG was supposed to be 1.064, but it landed at 1.070! Assumed 78% efficiency this time.

My recipe was:

9.5 lb 2-row US
2 lb vienna
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb Crystal 40

All Centennial hops (pellet)
1oz @ First Wort
1oz @ 15 min
1oz @ 5 min
1oz @ flame out
+ dryhopping later

US-05 yeast
whirlfloc
+ 3g of gypsum to bring my local water (filtered) to style guidelines per Palmer.

mash @ 153 (started at 155, dropped to 152 - have to insulate the lid of the cooler) ended up with around 5.4 gal after 60 min boil. (batch sparge)

My question is this: Is there anything strange that could be going on to get this high OG? I've calculated the efficiency that I theoretically achieved on this batch using Beersmith, and it seems that I'd have to be hitting 84-85% to be getting this - which I really doubt, as most posts I looked at read people getting 70 to maybe 80%, and I don't think I'm doing anything different or special...

Oh, the second batch I did was a Blonde Ale that i targeted 1.050, and hit 1.048 (assuming 78% as well)...

What could be going on here? Not that I'm complaining about this, it just doesn't make sense?!

Thanks

Im also a noob but ive never heard of more o.g. being a problem.. my hydro says its calibrated at 60 deg. maybe that has something to do with it, or maybe your thermometer. eitherway good for you at least its not to low...

Most hydrometers come with a temperature calibration chart as well, and at 70 degrees you should still be within 0.002.

I am by no means an expert having only done 1 batch myself, but are you taking into account the water losses that you will have from boiling? If you want to do 5 gallons and put in 5 gallons at the beginning, you will end up with less water which will result in a higher than targeted OG.

your system is more efficient then the est. 75%...thats a good thing. you seem to have done your homework b/c everything looks great. my system is usually in the mid to upper 80% eff. so i adjust the base grain down a little to compensate...

You are on your way to some awesome beer (bells two-hearted is naughty...) and I wouldn't change anything. eventually you will know your brewhouse efficiency and adjust accordingly.

cheers and welcome :mug:

I guess I was mostly worried about my process - wondering if something I was doing could be drawing some tannins out of the grain, too high of temps or something - but I just had the one week bottle conditioned inaugural beer - and it was great! (if it's going to get better with time - I'm in trouble!) I would also say that the 6.66% ABV estimate is pretty accurate, because it hit me like a big beer, that I can say for sure! :D

cgondoli - I had the same thoughts on the thermometer - but i use a digital type and it's within a deg or two of a floating therm I have... so I guess it must be fine.

knowitman - yes - I account for the boil losses - I use beersmith and it tells me how much to mash and sparge with to get to boil... i usually end up with 6.5 into the kettle and 5.5 after boil. I could have been boiling off more than i think - which is likely contributing to the high OG's...

and goose - I think you've hit the nail on the head - I just didn't think I was going to be getting such good efficiency right off the bat. But I did an all Columbus hops APA today, targeted 1.054 using 82% eff, and hit 1.056... so I guess I'm in the mid 80's as well! (by no means gloating!)

Thanks for the replies - like I said earlier - this forum rocks!

Latest posts

Back