Over pitched s04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerslave

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just attempted by second batch of brew and everything went great except im pretty sure I over pitched the yeast. Ive been reading that most packets of yeast are sold for the standard 5 gallon batch so for a 1 gallon batch you should use half a packet. Not thinking too much about it I pitched half the pack but my pack was 15 grams. Am I going to notice any bad flavours when the beer is finished? Its fermenting away quite nicely but there is a ton of krausen. Its coming down the blow off tube. Im kinda concerned the cap is going to blow off!

Not neccesarily bad flavors from too much yeast as all that yeast heating the wort to high of temperature as it ferments. Keep the wort a at 60° to 62°. SA-04 gives better flavor at the low end of its temperature range.

To much yeast can inhibit yeast growth and change the way it will affect the flavor of your beer. Temperatures will have more of an effect on whether or not you will want to drink the beer.

Back