Oopps, frozen beer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
My beer froze in my fridge. I dropped the temp do it can defrost. Am I screwed or will my brew be ok?

Chances are your brew will be ok. Where are you at in the process? If it was still fermenting you may have to add another pack of yeast because freezing the yeast will likely kill at least some of them but generally not all of them. Same is true if you are getting ready to bottle, there likely will not be enough viable yeast to carb so you will need some more yeast. If fermentation is complete and you keg and force carb then no worries.

Sorry, I meant it froze in the keg. It's about the 4th day into the carbonation process.

I think that it should be ok. Bring the temp back up to 40 degrees or so and continue carbing. I have read that freezing and subsequently thawing beer helps make a clearer beer, but I have no experience with that. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back