Oat meal stout first try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMart104

Reaction score
Hello everyone third batch of beer and first time in two years. Going to brew an Oatmeal Stout with a brewing friend.
Bought a kit from the lbs. Would just like to run it by you guys to get some tips.
In muslin bag
.5 lbs flaked oats
.5 crystal
.5 chocolate
.25lb roasted barley
Boil in 2 gallons water remove just before boil commences.
Dissolve 3lbs lme amber malt and 3lbs muntons amber dme and allow the boil to re-establish

hops
start of boil add 2 oz u.k. fuggle hops
45 minutes add irish moss
60 min remove from stove.

og 1.045

During the wort chilling add cold water to get to 5 gallons.

Any pointers or anything you would change
thank you

Don't boil the grains, or let it get to a boil. Steep no higher than 160 degrees, for about 20 minutes. Then remove.

Ideally, I'd like to see some 2-row in with the grains, to convert the oats.

Aside from the poor directions telling you to bring the grains to a near boil, the rest looks ok.

Thank you for the quick reply
What would 2-row be? A type of grain?
The lbs told me about 15 to 20 on the grains and take out before 170.
Now is that from start, i mean putting water and grain on stove heating up to about 160 to 170

Thank you for the quick reply
What would 2-row be? A type of grain?
The lbs told me about 15 to 20 on the grains and take out before 170.
Now is that from start, i mean putting water and grain on stove heating up to about 160 to 170

My advice is to heat your water to 155-165 degrees and steep your grains for 30 minutes (steeping in a grain bag). Remove the bag, and raise the temperature of the water to boiling, and then add the DME/LME and hops.

+1 to Yooper and Verio. NEVER boil grains, and above 170 the water can extract some nasty stuff from grains. Like Verio said, bring water to about 155-160*F and place grains in water and steep (adding no more heat to water) for about 20-30min; this will extract most of the "goodies" from the grains you are looking for.

And like Yooper said adding some 2-row (aka pale malt, a base grain) to the mix will help with conversion of the oats, providing enzymes to convert the starches to sugars, yada, yada, yada.

Good luck and welcome back to the obsession!!

well i brewed the oat meal stout last night.Heres how it went...
Steeped in 1.5 gallons @ 163 degrees for 30 min
.5 lbs flaked oats
.5 lbs crystal
.5 lbs chocolate
.25 lbs roasted barley

For the steeping we boiled water and used a thermos to hold the temp. We then added the steeped water to boil pot and added 2 gallons of water reach aprox. 3.5 gallons in brew pot.
Brought to boil and added 3 lbs dme muntons amber and 3.3 lbs of amber lme
and added bittering hops 2oz of uk fuggles
45 minutes in added irish moss
60 minutes of boil took off burning and chilled the wort
took 37 minutes and got it down to 77 degrees
we then strained into our fermenting bucket and added water to reach our 5 gallon mark sloshed it around and pitched our yeast at 77 degrees
White Labs irish al yeast WLP004
We took a reading and it was 1.054
11 hours later no signs of bubbles and temp is 64 degrees. ( I know don't worry if there are bubbles yet)

Looks like it went just fine. I am sure you will see some activity soon. The Amber Wheat I have in the primary took four days before any bubbles in the air lock.

Now any reason why the og is that much higher than the target 1.045.
Our reading was 1.054.

Also we did sanitize and clean everything and anything we used and touched we re sanitized in a bucket that we had.

Now any reason why the og is that much higher than the target 1.045.
Our reading was 1.054.

Also we did sanitize and clean everything and anything we used and touched we re sanitized in a bucket that we had.

Could be a few different reasons; these ale pails are historically inaccurate in their markings, see this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ale-pail-accuracy-182894/ and next time do a measure and mark. Your hydrometer could also be off, you can check this by using distilled water at 60 degrees (should give you a reading of 1.00) and the temperature that you took the gravity reading can make a few points difference; use a quick calculator to compensate (I use this one: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php). I am sure others will jump in here with more possibilities :mug:

Well 24 hours later it started to ferment and and 12 hours after that i ended up needing to put a blow off tube on it. All alst night it fermented like crazy could hear it from other room. Now tonight it hasn't shown any signs. it couldn't have fermented in 48 hours?

Well 24 hours later it started to ferment and and 12 hours after that i ended up needing to put a blow off tube on it. All alst night it fermented like crazy could hear it from other room. Now tonight it hasn't shown any signs. it couldn't have fermented in 48 hours?

What temperature is the room at where you are fermenting this? If it is very warm it could be done. Some beers fermenter faster than others also. You won't know for sure if it is done until you take hydrometer readings and they stay consistent across 3 days. In my opinion... leave it alone for 2 weeks, as hard as it may be, and then take a reading.

It could have, move than likely it's just gone through all the simple sugars and is now working on complex stuff/cleaning up. It's still fermenting, just not giving you the lovely bubbles that we all get entranced by... let it sit for a couple of weeks. You'll know its done when your gravity has not moved for three days.

Ive brewed and ALL grain oatmeat stout twice in last few months, one with California Ale yeast and the other with Irish Ale yeast. They both took about 15hrs to start fermintation and were almost completely done after 36-48hrs. Just make sure to keep the ferm. temps down to about 64-65 degrees and they should be fine. Twirl the bucket or carboy around a bit every once in a while and see if you get an increase in activity.

It started fermenting 24 hours after putting in the fermenter and has stopped ferementing after about 48 hours. Them temp has been between 63 and 68. I'm going to give it until sunday and get a gravity check and again on Monday. Now is 48 hours enough time to ferment?

The real active ferment can go quite quickly or it can be a bit slower depending on the type of yeast, the temperature, the phase of the moon, how romantic the yeast were before they started reproducing, etc. No, the yeast aren't done with fermenting in just 48 hours but the feast and orgy may be over and now the real work begins. At the end of a week, the majority of the ferment may be over. At the end of 3 weeks, almost all of the ferment will be over. At the end of a month, you can be pretty certain that it is getting quite close to being done. You could start taking a specific gravity reading at the end of the second week and get a better idea of where the ferment has gone. It will be a better beer if you can wait it out.

Back