New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not your normal pattern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
DurangoMatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Not your normal pattern

I am fairly new to brewing but I have done enough batches that I have seen a pattern. But I have a different pattern with my Midwest Cerveza Kit. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mexican-style-cerveza-20-minute-boil-kit.html

So my question is not really about the time because I know I can give it more time, but here is what is going on.

I made the kit and had it in my primary for 11 days. The fermentation had stopped for about 2 days. At this point the beer was acting normal but was not very clear (did have a yeast cake on the bottom). I was thinking it was because of the 20 min boil kit. So I moved to to my secondary. It started to clear (normal) and on day 4 in the secondary it started to look like it was going backwards (not as clear). Now on the 6th day in the secondary (15th day total). I have bubbles in my air lock again.

Let me know what you think. I was going to just give it more time but let me know.

Durango Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Any gravity measurements? What has the temp been?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

+1 to the above. Gravity measurements are the only way to tell with certainty whether the beer is done fermenting. Airlock activity could simply be due to CO2 escaping, which happens often, especially if the beer warms up and it only takes a degree or two.

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
DurangoMatt
Recipes 

OG was 1.056
FG (if you want to call it that) 1.010 for 50+ hours so moved to secondary.
Temp as been 70 degrees the whole time. It is in a room that doesn't change temp.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoMatt View Post
OG was 1.056
FG (if you want to call it that) 1.010 for 50+ hours so moved to secondary.
Temp as been 70 degrees the whole time. It is in a room that doesn't change temp.
It varies by yeast strain, but in my (limited) experience, fermenting down to 1.010 from 1.056 is not at all unusual. That this FG held for 50+ hours (two days) further reinforces this thinking.

If it were my brew, I'd take one more reading, and if it's holding at 1.010, I'd bottle it up.

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
DurangoMatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
It varies by yeast strain, but in my (limited) experience, fermenting down to 1.010 from 1.056 is not at all unusual. That this FG held for 50+ hours (two days) further reinforces this thinking.

If it were my brew, I'd take one more reading, and if it's holding at 1.010, I'd bottle it up.
So what do think is causing all the bubbles in my air lock. It bubbles every ten seconds. So I have a lot of gas releasing.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It's most likely off gassing from racking/moving it. Temperature of the beer. Atmospheric pressures. Airlock activity is really only an indication your airlock is working. It really has no bearing on level of fermentation going on in the fermenter. It just opens when pressure inside exceeds the outside pressure. Which can happen for a wide range of variables. At 1.010 I believe your fermentation is over.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
DurangoMatt
Recipes 

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoMatt View Post
I am fairly new to brewing but I have done enough batches that I have seen a pattern. But I have a different pattern with my Midwest Cerveza Kit. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mexican-style-cerveza-20-minute-boil-kit.html

So my question is not really about the time because I know I can give it more time, but here is what is going on.

I made the kit and had it in my primary for 11 days. The fermentation had stopped for about 2 days. At this point the beer was acting normal but was not very clear (did have a yeast cake on the bottom). I was thinking it was because of the 20 min boil kit. So I moved to to my secondary. It started to clear (normal) and on day 4 in the secondary it started to look like it was going backwards (not as clear). Now on the 6th day in the secondary (15th day total). I have bubbles in my air lock again.

Let me know what you think. I was going to just give it more time but let me know.

Durango Matt
Decided to bottle today (day 20). Not as much gas in my airlock but when bottle had a very strong green apple smell. Let me know what you think now. Sometime wrong or not enough time or what?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
IvanTheTerribrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

"Tastes/Smells Like:
Green apples, rotten-apples, freshly cut pumpkin
Possible Causes:
Acetaldehyde is a naturally occurring chemical produced by yeast during fermentation.
It is usually converted into Ethanol alcohol, although this process may take longer in
beers with high alcohol content or when not enough yeast is pitched. Some bacteria
can cause green apple flavors as well.
How to Avoid:
Let the beer age and condition over a couple months time. This will give the yeast
time to convert the Acetaldehyde into Ethanol. Always use high quality yeast and make
sure you are pitching the correct amount for the gravity of the wort or make a yeast
starter."

This is from morebeer.com, it sounds to me that there may have been some issue with your yeast. But it is something that can be mended with some time to age out. I'd recommend letting it stay in secondary for a good while. Possibly two months and just use a wine thief and keep checking how it tastes/smells. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
DurangoMatt
Recipes 

But now it is bottled, so will it age in the bottles as well?

Quick Reply