Not sure how it will turn out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konaniko

Reaction score
Just did a brewer's best kit and switched 2 steps I added the LME before the grains. Then I added hops to both and kept about 155* for 20 min then removed grain bag and brought to a boil what can I expect? Not sure if it is a big deal, but have to ask.

Sounds like you got everything wrong.

LME before the grains: Should be no problem, except that you probably removed more sugars than the grains contributed. Will not make much difference.

Adding all the hops during steeping: While you will have the IBUs required by the recipe, they will taste subdued. You will probably get more hop flavor than the original (I like First Wort Hopping - which is what you have just done), and if there were any aroma hops in there (these are ones added in the last 5 minutes) you will not get any of their aroma. Don't worry about it.

You might produce something better than the original product.

Sounds like you got everything wrong.

LME before the grains: Should be no problem, except that you probably removed more sugars than the grains contributed. Will not make much difference.

Adding all the hops during steeping: While you will have the IBUs required by the recipe, they will taste subdued. You will probably get more hop flavor than the original (I like First Wort Hopping - which is what you have just done), and if there were any aroma hops in there (these are ones added in the last 5 minutes) you will not get any of their aroma. Don't worry about it.

You might produce something better than the original product.

Back