Not another glass v. plastic carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillWilly

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a couple of projects that require extended aging in a secondary (bourbon barrel and a barleywine).

My question is there any concern about using a better bottle for extended conditioning? Not sure if there is potential for leaching or even ruining my bottle.

NP. Use whatever is handy. Important thing is to make sure it is sealed, so acetobacteria doesn't get in and start making vinegar.

Just be sure to purge with Co2 or completely fill them to avoid the risk of oxidization from long term storage.

FATC1TY said:
Just be sure to purge with Co2 or completely fill them to avoid the risk of oxidization from long term storage.

Thanks for the tip! Is there an economical way of doing this without the investment of a co2 bottle?

Thanks for the tip! Is there an economical way of doing this without the investment of a co2 bottle?

Pocket charger and 16 gram cartridges. That's the cheapest way. You could, also, get one of the regulators set up for paintball gun CO2 bottles. Dick's Sporting Goods (up in my area) charges all of $3.99 to fill up a 20oz CO2 bottle (less for smaller sizes).

I had the same thoughts as well on a B.B. Thinking better not leave it in there for too long. Well I had made an apple cider that I racked into a B.B. on 2-5-10 and just left it there.
Yesterday I said well I need to try that or dump it as I need the room. I was very surprised to see it was fine, had no oxidized taste no off flavors. I back sweetened it with a little honey and kegged it.

Pocket charger and 16 gram cartridges. That's the cheapest way. You could, also, get one of the regulators set up for paintball gun CO2 bottles. Dick's Sporting Goods (up in my area) charges all of $3.99 to fill up a 20oz CO2 bottle (less for smaller sizes).

Hey, that's cool. Do you need anything to attach to that charger, or can you just squirt CO2 out of the "nozzle"? I was just thinking it'd be nice to have a CO2 source for blanketing, purging hops jars, etc.

Hey, that's cool. Do you need anything to attach to that charger, or can you just squirt CO2 out of the "nozzle"? I was just thinking it'd be nice to have a CO2 source for blanketing, purging hops jars, etc.

You can just squirt with what's included if you want. It's made to use a QD to go onto the gas post of your keg. Just be sure to use the CO2 cartridges made for use with foods (like the whipped cream makers and available from HBS')... I have one of those chargers, but I now have enough regulators to not need to use it. I've found it's easier when you can use a low, steady, CO2 flow rate compared with the burst you typically get from the pocket charger. But, on a tight budget, and for this use, it will do an ok job. Once you can, I would get at least something that can use paintball CO2 bottles. Considering how a refill there will run you about $4 for a 20oz bottle, CO2 costs will be much better. You quickly recover (in savings) the cost of the CO2 bottle.

The beer will have an amount of CO2 in solution that will slowly come out over time and protect the beer. If the beer is only a couple of weeks old, it will probably have plenty.

If really concerned, boil a couple of ounces table sugar in a little water and add it to the secondary. The yeast will work on it generating CO2. I've done this a lot, never been a problem.

The beer will have an amount of CO2 in solution that will slowly come out over time and protect the beer. If the beer is only a couple of weeks old, it will probably have plenty.

If really concerned, boil a couple of ounces table sugar in a little water and add it to the secondary. The yeast will work on it generating CO2. I've done this a lot, never been a problem.

I'd rather not add pure sugar to a brew that I'm also giving time to age. I'd rather hit it with pure CO2 and then seal it off and not worry about it. With what I ferment, and age, in I CAN completely seal it off so nothing gets in or out.

Why are people "surprised"? Better Bottles are non-porous, and don't transfer any significant amount of oxygen. They might look a little like other cheap water bottles like those used for bulk water...BUT they are truly "Better".

I have both glass carboys, and better bottles. Going forward I will only purchase better bottles...they are SO much easier the handle.....they are easier to clean, the slightly larger neck size makes dryhop additions and removal much easier...and they are cheaper.

Why are people "surprised"? Better Bottles are non-porous, and don't transfer any significant amount of oxygen. They might look a little like other cheap water bottles like those used for bulk water...BUT they are truly "Better".

I have both glass carboys, and better bottles. Going forward I will only purchase better bottles...they are SO much easier the handle.....they are easier to clean, the slightly larger neck size makes dryhop additions and removal much easier...and they are cheaper.

You only need to worry about them melting if the wort is too hot going into it. Not shattering like glass will (with various ways to have that happen).

Personally, I really wouldn't advise anyone go with glass these days. Not with all the threads about people being hurt (some seriously, some fatal) from glass carboy's breaking/shattering.

Because there's been so much anti plastic "propaganda" and opinion disguised as fact over the years that just keeps getting repeated, just like autolysis and all the other old chestnuts. And also the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" mentality comes into play, a lot of folks just aren't interested in learning something new, or changing their beliefs about things. And they just repeat rotely what they heard or what they believed from 20 years ago.

There's a guy in this thread who's SO SURE that the OP's beer is autolysed and oxydated for being in a better bottle primary for a year.

Even despite the mention that wine makers often secondary their wines these days in Better Bottles, for that time or longer.

That's the "mentality" a lot of us try to fight, by trying to keep current on these things.

I'd rather not add pure sugar to a brew that I'm also giving time to age. I'd rather hit it with pure CO2 and then seal it off and not worry about it. With what I ferment, and age, in I CAN completely seal it off so nothing gets in or out.

I wasn't recommending it for you! Some people only have basic equipment.

I'm sure you think that those of us who bottle are also peasants. Most people who bottle, use plain sugar. What I'm recommending as a little addition to create some CO2 is far less than most people use for bottling. I don't see any issue with it. Could use extract as an alternative.

Back