New to brewimg, had an issue.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonbrawn

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm brewing my first batch last night and really enjoyed it. Today I came home to find that it was fermenting, but it was spilling some in the closet I had my carboy in. I did a quick search and saw all I had to do was attach the hose I had to the nozzle and put the other end in some sanitized water and it would be fine. Well when I got everything ready and popped off the cap, beer went everywhere in the closet. Aside from the now stained white walls, is the beer ok?

If you have one of the 3 piece airlocks you can attach the blow off tube over the inner part where the little bell type part usually covers. You can also look at the bottom of the part that sticks into the stopper. If there is an X there you can trim that off and it will be less likely to be plugged.

I suggest that you start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube installed.

Blow off valve has now been constructed and in use with my friends brews. Also I am planning on investing in a larger carboy.

Your beer is fine, don't worry. All of that stuff is being pushed out as your walls are now proof of that. As long as you don't scrape that stuff off of the walls and put it back in the fermentor...:mug:

Hello. Just finished my first brew and it tasted like it didn't finish frementing(kinda sour). But my final gravity was 1.011? Help

frs-guy said:
Hello. Just finished my first brew and it tasted like it didn't finish frementing(kinda sour). But my final gravity was 1.011? Help

Kinda sour is not the taste of a beer that didn't finish, it's the taste of fermentation by something other than beer yeast. Without any more detail I'd say some other little beasties got in there...

Back